Volkswagen Golf MK V - Golf 2.0l GT TDI Mk V Cambelt tensioner sheered - kevf66

Hi,

I had my cambelt replaced last August on 108991 miles, Saturday night I drove out of work less than 6 months on and the car at 113000 miles and my cambelt tensioner bolt sheered off causing the belt to come lose, no power , and broken down.

I have now a major problem on my hands, as the car is off road and who would be liable for the work? Without the garage advising me I need the cambelt changing I wouldn't have had it done at that time. So now I'm facing a major dispute, plus what could be huge amount of internal damage, ie. Bent valves etc?

Any advice on this matter would be appreciated

Many thanks

Volkswagen Golf MK V - Golf 2.0l GT TDI Mk V Cambelt tensioner sheered - RobJP

I don't think the garage can be held liable. The work was carried out more than 6 months ago (August to March is not 'less than 6 months'), and any fault or poor workmanship would be expected to fail within 6 months of work.

It would be up to you to prove - through an engineer's report - that the standard of workmanship was so poor as to cause the failure.

Volkswagen Golf MK V - Golf 2.0l GT TDI Mk V Cambelt tensioner sheered - elekie&a/c doctor

When the cambelt is replaced on these,it is important to replace the stud and nut at the same time.It is a known weak point.Did the garage replace these parts?Previously discussed here.www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=98555

No I have been told by the garage that the stud wasn't changed as that dosent come part of the kit that they purchased. But I'm assuming they removed and re-fitted the stud as they have replaced the tensioner, which means they were the last ones to work there and should have inspected/torque loaded this stud to prevent this problem occurring

As you say, you are assuming ... and they should have ...

Engineers report is what you need. Without it, you have nothing.

How do you suggest I obtain an engineers report of the work carried out?

And I know this stud was removed and re-fitted (not replaced with new part) as there mechanic told me.

How do you suggest I obtain an engineers report of the work carried out?

And I know this stud was removed and re-fitted (not replaced with new part) as there mechanic told me.

As I said, you would have to prove - to a high standard of proof - that their work or workmanship fell below a 'reasonable standard' or was negligent. That is usually done via an engineers report - I'd suggest you get in touch with the institute of mechanical engineers, and they would be able to advise further, depending on your area.

Bear in mind that the very first defence of the garage would be that they supplied and fitted all the items that the kit came with. Whilst it might be 'common knowledge' on internet forums that the stud can fail, if the manufacturer does not insist on (or recommend) replacement when changing the tensioner, then the garage is almost certainly NOT liable. A 'normal' garage cannot be expected to know every single detail and foible about every single engine/gearbox/etc. on the marketplace. (though if you'd taken it to a VW dealer for the work to be done, then you could argue that they should have this knowledge)

In addition to which, the simple fact that it took a further 7 months for the bolt to fail adds to the argument that this was a simple failure, which could not be predicted, and that the bolt was in good condition when re-fitted.

As I said in my first reply, I think the garage is not liable - for the reasons listed above.. I appreciate that this is not what you WANT to hear. But I also think that you'd have a hell of a job showing that the garage were negligent, or that their workmanshp fell below a 'reasonable standard'.

Volkswagen Golf MK V - Golf 2.0l GT TDI Mk V Cambelt tensioner sheered - bazza

As Rob says, a perfect summary. Unfortunately, I think your best plan is to source a secondhand unit and fit that, rather than waste time and effort and stress yourself over trying to apportion blame.

Volkswagen Golf MK V - Golf 2.0l GT TDI Mk V Cambelt tensioner sheered - Railroad.

Another thing you have to factor in is the age of the car. You don't state how old it is, but if it's a Mk V it has to be at least 7 years old, and with over 100,000 miles on the clock and assuming it's always been privately owned suggests it's older than that. Unfortunately this means it isn't a new car, and therefore will have been subject to all sorts of wear and degradation during its life. This will make it even more difficult for any repairer to predict future failures, and would weaken your case against them even further.