Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - NormanB
Hi

I would just like to share this experience with you and seek the forums advice on how I should proceed.

My wife dropped her Yaris off for service at the local Toyota dealership the evening before it was due its service (long story). The service writer asked if she had the socket for the locking wheel nut - \'Yes it is in the glovebox with the service record book\' she replied. My wife had emptied the car of everything else at the weekend, there were no personal belongings in the car at all - just the service book, locking wheel nut socket and the standard toolset and jack in the back.

On picking up the car this evening - the garage said the locking wheel nut socket was not in the glove compartment!!! (I picked it up coz wife was away).

So apart from engaging in a pantomime \'Oh yes I did, Oh no I didn\'t\' sketch - How to proceed?

My plan is to inform the Service Manager of the problem, and with the long stop of if they have not found said item by 1600hrs we report to the police as wife is 125% positive that it has been nicked/lost while in their custody!

The real problem is that security is now compromised. I still have data sheet so ordering replacement socket is not a problem but some naughty person may still come and steal the wheels so a new set of locking wheel nuts is the only answer - we look to the dealer to sort out and cover whole cost.

Am I being reasonable?

Regards
NormanB

Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - Wales Forester
If you\'re positive about the locking nut key being in the car then be polite but firm with the dealer Service Manager.
Insist on them paying for the new nut key to remove the current nuts and also insist that they replace them with a new set.
If the Service Manager isn\'t obliging ask to speak to the Dealer Principal, if he/she isn\'t forthcoming (which i doubt) then you can always inform them that you will speak to Toyota GB Customer Services.

I doubt you will have any problems, you have a genuine grievance which they can easily settle. The customer is always right after all! ;-)

I had a similar experience with wheel trims at a Ford dealer a few years back, they managed to crack two whilst the car was in for service, I pointed it out on collection and they replaced them on the spot. (Hard to believe I know Ford fans)

Regards,
Pete.
Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - eMBe {P}
>>> 'Yes it is in the glovebox with the service record book' she replied. My wife had emptied the car of everything else at the weekend, .... - just the service book, locking wheel nut socket and the standard toolset and jack in the back. .
On picking up the car this evening - the garage said the locking wheel nut socket was not in the glove compartment!!! <<<

This is a lesson for anyone else who drops in their car for service - always hand in the socket personally and get the service writer to note & sign that you have handed it in.

I cannot really help in this case exccept to comment that it is the word of one person against another. The average person in the street is could conclude that your wife probably removed the socket from the glovebox at the weekend - deliberately or accidentally. It is also quite possible that the garage mechanic or assistant removed it from the glovebox; and has misplaced it or has forgotten that he did so (in view of the routine of doing the same work on other cars).
Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - Den
Were the wheels removed for the service?
If so, how?
If not, why not?
Den
Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - volvoman
Good point Den !
Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - E.B.
Were the wheels removed for the service?
If so, how?
If not, why not?
Den

Mmm, very interesting point there Den. They have to remove the wheels to inspect the brake pads during servicing, which means they must have used the socket. But if the socket was not there as they say then how did they inspect the pads? This would imply that they did not fully adhere to the service schedule. I think NormanB has reason to persue the matter.

Dealer Service - Toyota Yaris - Dynamic Dave
They have to remove the wheels to inspect the brake pads
during servicing,

Not necessarily true. A mechanic can inspect the brake pads with the wheels in situ just by looking through the patterned holes in the wheel, and similarily can check the rear brake shoes by removing the rubber bungs on the back of the hub and shining in a torch.