LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - LoveMercs
Hi all - I have Maxus flatbed with a fish and chip unit bolted on the back. At the moment I am having the following problems and wondered if anyone can advise what is causing them;
When I turn the headlights on there is a loud buzzing from one of the relays in the main fuse box (to the right of the steering wheel under the dash). Also at this point the indicators stop working, the windows wont go up or down, the interior light is very, very dim and the instrument panel lights don't work.

When the headlights are not on the indicators work, but nothing else.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark
LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - elekie&a/c doctor
The wiring on these can be very hit or miss.But it sounds like you have an earthing issue,either down by the headlight wiring or up behind the dash.
LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - daveyK_UK
If you own a LDV maxi and your only issue is electrical, your doing very well.
LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - LoveMercs
Thanks mate, i will check the earths out
LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FK

I have a Maxus that had exactly the same faults as yours..turn on the lights and a small relay near the fuse box would buzz violently, indicators intermittent, dash lights and guages on the blink.I thought it was the etacs unit behind the stereo, so I bought a s/h unit and butchered my dash to get at the problem. Having taken out the old black box, the insides seemed to have one more relay than the new box, but what had I to lose? I exchanged the units over and it the wipers began to park themselves properly, but the buzzing was still there with headlights on.(I'd replaced the small relay near the fuses to no effect).

Now to get at the etacs unit i had to remove the radio/cassette player (the original radios are notoriously bad). Now it looked as if, when someone was installing the stereo, they'd managed to losen off an earth wire that was left dangling. with the stereo out of the wayI touched the lose wire onto the nearest exposed bodywork for a decent earth...

...hey presto, the buzzing when the lights were switched on ceased, the electric windows started to work again, the rev counter settled down, the fuel guage became less random, and the dash lights even woprked properly again. For a brief moment the orange warning light disappeared, and all on the dash was fine(bar the clock that always lost an hr a day)

since then my heater fan has decided to stop working(it only ever span at full speed or nothing), the fuel guage reads full on ignition then settles down to a more realistic reading after a couple of miles. I've not got round to replacing the stereo, as I'd rather be able to get inside the horrible wiring easier in the future if I have to.

I suppose if i got the relays within the ETACS unit replaced that might make the heater fan work, and the intermittent wiper mode to come back to l;ife. but as is, I put up with it's niggly electrics, so long as the grunt under the bonnet isn't playing up.

They were cheap vans when new and i think you gets whats you pays for.

I'd love to get my heater working on all 4 speeds, so if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

Also, I've lost the grey plastic cover from my interior fuse box, and can't tell which fuse is for which component (..I wanted to check the one for the heater fan). If anyone could take a photo of the fuse box layout and post it to me I'd much appreciate (mothila13@hotmial.co.uk)

If you want to go anywhere forward with the electrics on these,get yourself a workshop manual. Don't think the heater circuit runs through the etacs control.;www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162373845875?_trksid=p2055119.m...T

LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - P~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~FK

Hey thanks, that's an excellent link to a very useful manual. I have ltd faith in my own abilities to decipher the nature of problems wit the electrics, even with the help of a comprehensive manual like that. Howevershould I hang onto my Maxus for much longer I might well invest the £15 to help me solve its quirky problems.

Interestingly enough, the biggest car manufacturing group in China have bought the residuals from the previously Russian owned LDV uk branch, and have rereleased the model, without many changes to shape/looks. they ave intyroduced an all electric version too, the EV80. Deralerships are few and far between, but they're giving a 5year warranty(125k limit), and i'd be curious how much they'll retail for. not that I'm in the market for a new van, but it'll be strange seeing a new version of mine on the roads, and this might make getting spares easier than hit n miss at breakers yards for obscure items.

ps, it was so cold the other day when I left home that I used my electric seat heater pressed against the windscreen(inside) to help combat the condensation. once i was nearer town things cleared up, but out in the sticks it's always colder and visibility can suffer without a working heater fan.

PPS, anyone know which fuse is the one for the heater fan?

According to my diagram,fuse 4 in the underdash fusebox ,should be the heater blower circuit.Check for power at the motor 2-pin plug ,green/white wire with ignition on.

LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - DjKarlW

hi mate hope you managed to sort this i have the ldv maxus 120 lwb and have just changed the alternator and etacs unit and the relays by the fuse box and still getting a buzzing and no indicators or able to use my electric windows my side lights flicker and my dash lights go off van runs fine if driving with headlights on and press the window switch the headlights go off until release the switch need help guys

oh and if its running i can taje the keys out and will still be running with the headlights on and if switch the headlights off with the key out the engine stops

Edited by DjKarlW on 01/12/2019 at 16:34

LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - Dafydd Jones

Search a company called Remobalise. Owners name is Kevin, I sent him my ESA and ETACS units in the post and he refurbished them and sent me info on a dodgy earth block behind the dash that causes crazy issues. It also melts and catches fire if untreated so to speak. He was really cheap too, compared to the auto electrician by me anyway.

LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - jamesbrown12

I just bought a 2006 LDV Maxus (2.5l diesel, I believe it's a Chrysler Voyager engine) and am having some intermittent starting issues. Sometimes it starts perfect, other times (about 1 in every 3 or 4 attempts) I get a repeated clicking (I think this is the starter motor) but it doesn't turn over. I have a jump pack that I have been using to start the vehicle which always works first time when fully charged, but it's a lot of hassle and I have been caught out a few times now not being able to charge it between uses. I also have a battery tester that often reads the battery as "full" but this will drop without me using anything electrical in the van, to the point it no longer starts.

LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - jamesbrown12

I just bought a 2006 LDV Maxus (2.5l diesel, I believe it's a Chrysler Voyager engine) and am having some intermittent starting issues. Somet showboximes it starts perfect, other times (about 1 in every 3 or 4 attempts) I get a repeated clicking (I think this is the starter motor) but it doesn't turn over. I have a ju usps trackingmp pack that I have been using to start the vehicle which always works first time when fully charged, but it's a lot of hassle and I have been caught out a few times now not being able to charge it between uses. I also have a battery tester that often reads the battery as "full" but this will drop without me using anything electrical in the van, to the point it no longer starts.

issue solved!!

Edited by jamesbrown12 on 19/12/2019 at 07:07

LDV Maxus 3.5 LWB - Problems with maxus electrics - Dafydd Jones

What was the cause of the drain?