Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - KB.
In the HJ Archive way back in 2001 (Monday 22nd October at 1409 hrs to be precise) there's a thread about fitting a new battery.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=2204#m...7

I have the dubious honour of posting in it. Mention is made of the Draper 'Memory Saver' that you plug in to the cig. lighter socket to keep the settings during the battery swap. At the time I hadn't heard of them but subsequently bought one and have never used it.

My question is....on something like my Hyundai i10 how sensible is it to change your own battery. In the good old days we didn't give it a second thought (same as using jump leads) but nowadays I'm wary of doing anything to upset (a) the car's electronics....and (b) the people who maintain the warranty (Hyundai until September this year).

I see that we must turn the ignition key to position one to activate the cig. lighter circuit. And check the 9 volt battery in the device is sound too.

Apart from the radio stations what else might we lose if we just disconnected the old and fitted the new? Is there still a radio code on cars such as this? Or what else in the electronics might get lost in the move?

Thanks.

Edited by KB. on 11/02/2016 at 00:32

Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - Halmerend
Just your clock settings I would have thought.
Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - KenC

Fitting a battery is one of the easiest diy tasks, do it yourself and save up to 50% on the cost

I believe the only information you "may" need is the radio code

Once you have purchased the correct battery and charged it, allow youself

plenty of time and good daylight.

I have copied the below from a website I use to purchase my batteries.

Turn the engine and all electrical equipment off.

Be sure not to have any metallic objects lying across the battery terminals as this may cause a short circuit

When removing the battery disconnect the negative terminal first.

Clean the battery tray and clamp the battery securely after the installation.

Clean the terminals, clamps and other components and lubricate slightly with battery grease.

When installing, first connect the positive terminal and check the terminal clamps to ensure they are secure.

If necessary replace any accessories taken from the replaced battery e.g base hold downs, vent elbow, filler caps and terminal covers.

I use" performance batteries" from tewksbury, they price match and deliver the next working day.

Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - Doc

I have recently had to disconnect/ reconnect my battery (Suzuki Swift) a few times with no ill effects apart from losing the radio code.

The ECU did not seem affected, and did not need to "re-learn".

In fact I have disabled the security code on the radio as, unlike many years ago, it is built-in and unlikely to get stolen.

Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - Wackyracer
It all depends on the vehicle. In my Citroen it only effects the clock and the radio security code.
In my Vauxhall the radio does not have a code(I believe it is locked to the ECU somehow) but, I have to re train the electric windows to do one touch open and close.

Some of the more modern machinery is going to require the new battery status to be coded/ programmed to the ECU.
Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - chriswales

As said above it does depend on the particular vehicle. But as an example our 2006 Mazda is jump started a few times a year. The car is used for the school run and shopping trips into town. A new battery was fitted four years ago with no problems to the immobiliser, radio, ECU etc.

The car has to be occasionally started using a 30Amp booster. So far this hasn't had any noticeable affects on it's electrical system. As mentioned above the clock and electric windows need to be re-set. Which my wife normally leaves for me to sort out the next time I have to use car.

Thanks for replies.

One or two saying "should" be OK depending on the model"...so I think I'll double check beforehand.

I raised the question as it's five years old and has failed to start the car once following a fortnight parked in the garage. An hour's charge sorted it but once a battery lets me down I start to think of a new one.

I've fished the Draper memory saver device out and got a new 9volt battery for it and will check the handbook to see what it says about radio codes etc.

Thanks.

Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - Wackyracer

When I changed the battery on the Astra last year, I used my jump start pack on the battery leads and then just put a glove over the positive lead to stop it shorting out while I removed the old battery and bolted the new one in place. It saved having to look up the battery code etc.

Edited by Wackyracer on 11/02/2016 at 22:04

Thank you.

I should have looked earlier....but the handbook only refers to the radio, clock and sunroof requiring reset following disconnection. No mention of the engine management self destructing should I disconnect the battery for a minute or so. But would still try to keep the settings either by using leads or with the Memory Saver (with the ign. key set to position one).

Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - NARU

On my Toyota - The only thing to reset is the electric window sensors, the clock and the radio presets.

On my Mazda - The steering sensor needs to be recalibrated. Just turn the steering all the way to the left, then all the way to the right. No radio code. Tme and the radio presets.

The mazda instructions are clear in the owners handbook.

Edited by Marlot on 12/02/2016 at 05:18

Hyundai i10 2009 - Fitting a new car battery these days.... - slkfanboy

Some car like BMW need a new battery code into the Car else might not charge properly