2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - mr_okane
On 2007 Honda CRV as I accelerate through the gears the car revs as if the clutch is slipping. The mechanic thought the hand brake is sticking. Has anyone else had issues with Crv handbrake? I've had the rear brakes completey replaced, fails MOT every year, either not tight enough but then sticks when tightened

Edited by mr_okane on 05/02/2016 at 23:30

2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - hardway

Usually find it's bad adjustment,

I remove/release the cabel from the calliper/s quadrent,

then wind back pistons,

fit pads, then manually work the calliper quadrent to bring the pistons out and take up the slack.

At this point the quadrent lever on the callipers is FULLY reset with the lever at it's f***hest away point and little movement before locking on.

Then I refit and adjust the cable.

The problem on these is when the calliper lever is almost at it's maximum travel there's no/little self adjustment so you get a h/brake this year but the calliper sticks on and the lever on the calliper having little or no movement then siezes in the calliper itself.

The calliper quadrent/lever absoultly has to have free movement.

Everyone I've done has been mal adjusted when the lever isn't at full of position

and then the cable tightened to give THIS years brake.

You know it's right when the calliper lever appears fully off and the smallest of movement can lock the brake.

All Hondas seem to suffer not just Crv's.

But aside from all that I would have thought if the clutch was up to it it wouldn't slipp.

2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - Peter.N.

My thoughts to, it should stall the engine rather than make the clutch slip, I would suspect that its worn.

2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - Cyd

I'd hazard a guess the clutch is worn.

Mileage??

There's only 60k on the clock, the mechanic tested the clutch and tells me it's okay. I agree that the handbrake a is prob not well enough adjusted; I hear that Crv suffers from the brake drums being so small they are too small for the car, designed for a civic that is; so it gets tightened to hold enough and results in then heating up and ceasing/ sticking on. At one point a few years back when on the motorway the rear was shuddering as the handbrake stuck on. That's when I decided to replace them.
Maybe best to get Honda to service it this year to hold them to account for getting it done right; that's tricky too cos dealers can easily have inexperienced mechanics too
I m concerned for the family safety if the handbrake is sticking and concerned cos it couldn't be helping the clutch either
2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - hardway

Drums?

as far as I'm aware the Crv has rear callipers,

Hence my advice.

Thing is when the handbrake lever is pulled on it pulls on the calliper quadrent lever,

which in turn operates the ratchet mechanisim inside the piston/calliper which advances the piston to take into account pad wear.

This is one reason the piston has to be "wound back" into the calliper to the zero point when changing pads.

And my reason for removing the H/brake cable and manualy working the calliper lever to advance the piston.

Normal O/P from Honda would be to operate the lever in the cab several time to adjust up the slack.

No doubt this works on new calliper/pads cables...........

My way works on even suspect callipers.

Oh and my standard test for a clutch is pull the hand brake fully on then try to drive away in first.

If the clutch is fine the engine WILL stall.

Providing the hand brake is operating as designed.

What it shouldn't do is rev out.

That's a sure sign the clutch is slipping.

Yip drum brakes for the hand brake on the rear as well as the discs for the foot brake.

I must try the handbrake on and take off again. Before it just squeaked and drove of.
The reving is happening in 3rd, 4th, 5th &6th gears if you accelerate hard. She'll Rev and then bite again and actually give you a brave lift. To me it's like dipping the clutch.

That's got me thinking, she's 2wd normally but 4wd automatically when you need it.
So could the front wheels be spinning or losing grip so she flicks on the rear wheel drive and to do that the rear drive needs to engage, hence a quick Rev and bite down again. Does that sound crazy.
Jees I should record a video for youse
2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - gordonbennet

Drum inside disc is just about the best rear brake combination you can get, and if your CRV has that i'm surprised its giving any problems at all, unless its got Volvo's S60/V70 pet problem of poor quality linings parting company from the metal shoe and jamming up in the hub.

Presumably you've confirmed sticking brakes by slowing up without braking after several miles when convenient to do so and feeling the rear hubs?

Yeah
I kid you not even when I went thru MOT - here in NI they put you through a test centre the guy seen the were sticking and wiggled the cable to see that it would release the hand brake. Even more reason why I think I have a handbrake problem than a clutch problem.
Maybe a new brake cable is needed and a good man who knows how to set it up
2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - Cyd

Your reply still leaves me thinking your clutch is near the end of its life. The clutch on my Saab cannot be made to slip by the handbrake. Instead the full might of 270hp will simply drag the locked back wheels along.

Sure, get the handbrake sorted, but try to drive simpathetically towards the clutch and budget for a replacement within the next year, I'd say.

2007 Honda CR-v - Hand brake sticking causing clutch slipping - grumpyscot

I had to replace the rear offside caliper at 25,000 miles as it used to stick on - horrible smoke used to come off the back wheel! (And mine was a 57 plate CRV auto)