Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - Nannyogg
Hey, hoping someone can narrow down the issue for me, before I decide to take car to a local garage or Audi dealership where I bought it.

Came into contact with debris on motorway, which made a bit of noise but didn't think anything of it as no damage seen and car looked and felt fine afterwards.

Fast forward 1 week and 500 miles later, there is a vibration (I can feel it under the centre front of car and drivers seat) and there's a noise originating from the front passenger side wheel. A bit like the 'wump wump wump' you get from a flat. Except the tyre isn't flat. Vibration occurs at same time as noise.

Car driving ok otherwise, not pulling significantly. Only done 30k so guessing I've damaged something when running over debris.

Open to suggestions on what could have happened?

Cheers Lisa
Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - RobJP

By the sound of it, the wheel, the tyre, or possibly a suspension component has been damaged somewhat in the impact.

If the tyre, then it could have had a chunk taken out of it in the impact, making it out of balance. Or it could have been hit so hard that it's now mis-shapen.

If the wheel, again, it may have been knocked out of shape.

If the suspension, then most likely a bent arm, less likely damage to shock / spring.

Whichever, it definitely needs looking at ASAP. As it stands, it could suffer a catastrophic failure at any time while driving - not something you want to happen on a motorway.

As a first suggestion, take it into an independent tyre fitting place (not one of the chains, as soon as they see a woman the price doubles), mention what the symptoms are, and they'll get it up in the air and have a look at it.

Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - FoxyJukebox

Yes indeed-this needs checking,if only for piece of mind.

Start SIMPLE.The first thing i would do would be to jack the car up at home--get a friend to help if necessary. Is there anything visibly stuck up there?-in which case carefully remove. Alternatively get a local friendly garage to put it on the ramps and have a good look round.

A few months ago I ran over a small branch that got entangled around the the inside of the front wheel. Once removed all was fine. A few years a similar thing happened when some gravel got stuck in a brake disc. The garage spotted and removed it!

In both instances they caused the most horrendous alarming noises, very similar to your wump wump wump+( something stuck, as wheel revolves) . Noise travels-big time.

If you cant see anything obvious--it is then and only then i would book the car in for a thorough diagnostic .....Let this column know the outcome,I am interested.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I suspect there is some damage or something stuck. I'm going to jack up the car today and take a look.

Local garage is going to look at it on Monday and I won't be driving it in the meantime! I'll report back with an update Monday
Update on the tyre. There was some gravel stuck, including a stone. All removed and normal service has been resumed. Got both the front tyres changed for good measure as was down to about 2.5mm and figured they'd need doing soon anyway.

Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - RobJP

Thanks for coming back with the update.

And yes, agreed with replacing tyres a bit early. Once you get down to less than 3mm they'll aquaplane a lot more, I've always found.

Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - FoxyJukebox

Aha !...I thought it would be something simple/straighforward!...this very day I drove off from a car park and heard odd sounds underneath.Sure enough though--once i had gone round a couple of bends and driven for 20 mins at 40/50mph there was the sudden sound of a stone/piece of wood freeing itself-then silence! ....so stuff does get stuck sometimes!

I agree that changing the tyres was a good idea. For your interest on my Audi A3 I changed all four last summer for £315. For ultra piece of mind-why not do the rear tyres too once you have given it thought?. It's not just the treads that need looking at--it's the side walls that can so easily deteriorate and even get damaged after 3 years.

Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - skidpan

Update on the tyre. There was some gravel stuck, including a stone. All removed and normal service has been resumed. Got both the front tyres changed for good measure as was down to about 2.5mm and figured they'd need doing soon anyway.

Hope the new tyres were fitted on the rear. New tyres on front can cause severe handling imbalance resulting in dramatic oversteer in emergency situations. Applies to all cars regardless of FWD, RWD or 4WD.

Audi A3 Sportback - Suspected Tyre or wheel damage - Cyd

Absolutely bang on from Skidpan there.

All the industry advice is to fit new tyres to rear and fitters recieve this in training.

Google it if you must, but there is plenty of supporting material.

http://kumhotyre.co.uk/kumho-news/should-you-fit-new-tyres-to-the-front-or-rear/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/tyre-safety/