Citroen C5 - C5 bad cold start, loss power under 2000rpm - Lassedenmark
Hello, i am from denmark, i hope you guys can help me with this car. I will try to make my language so you can understand what i have tryed so far and what the problem is.

The problem : when the car is cold/ the engine is cold i have to turn over a lot off times before it fires up, when it does fires up the engine is runs badly for 10 secounds and some little white comes at the exhaust. The colder weather -> harder to start. When it first has fired uo for 30 secounds i start totally normally after that, it is allwayd the frist time firing up after it had stand still for some hours.
Also there is wery loss of power at the low rpm, nothing happens if you give fuld throttle from 1000 rpm to 2200 rpm, and also after 2200 rpm i dosent think the car seems fast enough.

The injectors have been tested at bosch
The starter goes fast enough
Batteri condition is good
The engine has been cleaned inside with a lot off different products
Glow plugs has been changed
Timning belt is checked and is correct
Live data on turbo, high pressure pump( when it cranks ) is ok, egr valve is tried to blocked off ( still starts badly first time)
And finally a compression test on all 4 cylinders : 20 bar on cold engine, is that enough??

We also have had a camera inside cylinder and it looks lile it was new.

Hope you understand, if you habe guestions or answer please write so i can understand ( techical words )

Citroen C5 - C5 bad cold start, loss power under 2000rpm - onetenor

Sounds like the engine is firing on heat of compression only .The fact that it does so indicates an engine in good condition. Check the glow plugs are getting power from the elecrical circuit. A common problem is failure of the bus bar fuse. A heavy copper link in the heavy lead It is often in a black plastic box a couple of inches square A screw at the front releases the cover which hinges up to show the copper strip between two heavy terminals. It is about 5 thou thick and 1/2 inch wide ( 12 mm ) Find it near the scuttle or firewall

Good luck John

Citroen C5 - C5 bad cold start, loss power under 2000rpm - Peter.N.

I don't think you say what engine it is, if its an early 8 valve diesel the pressure regulator on the back of the HP fuel pump gives problems.

Is a 2,0 hdi rhr enginecode. C5 from 8/2008
Is a 2,0 hdi rhr enginecode. C5 from 8/2008
Citroen C5 - C5 bad cold start, loss power under 2000rpm - Gibbo_Wirral

Someone on another forum with a similar problem mentioned that their fuel pump had a buildup of "wax", and after cleaning, it was much better.

Does the car have a diesel heater fitted? On my 307 that failed and it was difficult to start when cold. I only found out when doing a Lexia diagnostic - the fault didn't come up on generic "scan anything" code readers.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 05/02/2016 at 13:23