12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - Sirius98_99

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a used BMW 520d (12/62 plate) Effecient Dynamics model. During my research, I have come across some horror stories affecting N47 engines with timing chain snapping, resulting in full engine overhaul and costing thousands.

Apparently, this issue lasted till 2011 N47 engines but I am not sure whether this affects 2012 models, which include Effecient Dynamics diesels.

Has anyone come across such an issue with 2012 BMW diesel 5 series models?

Thanks,

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - phil_z70

Hi

There has been quite a bit of history of chains causing problems and costing a small fortune to repair, but it seems to be that the problem is generally caused by the BMW "long life" oil changes approx every 25'000 miles

If you can find one with a service history where the oil has been changed every year or 10 to 12k miles whichever comes first it should be fine

Thats what I would be looking for anyway

Lovely car though

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - slkfanboy

I not sure that I agree with that conclusion. It seams that the poor quality of OEM timing chains is an issue for BMW and it also VAG have also had issues. Suppliers running the machine tools too long has been sighted.

The BMW issues that the timing chain is at the back of the engine which requires loads of parts to be removed before accessing the chain and guides, hence the exspensive repair costs.

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - RobJP

The recall was for N47 engines built in 2007 and 2008, as far as I'm aware.

However, the advice regarding (hopefully) finding a car that has been serviced 'properly' certainly stands.

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - Sirius98_99

Thaks everyone for advice and input. Most helpful.

The search is now on for a "well maintained" engine but frankly, it is looking rather bleak and I wouldn't bet my money on a car which may leave me stranded on amotorway, no matter how comfortable it is inside and how weel it drives (when it does).

I shall post my search result and the car I finally buy (a facelift Jag XF and Mercs are now in contention too).

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - Buzzy Beans

Wasn't the problem with the 2.0D Beemer engine something to do with them repositioning the timing chains location from the (normal) location at the front of the engine to a sprocket attached to the flywheel at the rear end of the engine?

I too am on the outlook to buy a 2.0D Beemer and have been advised on another forum to go for a low mileage one of pre 08 reg.

I also totally agree with the previous comment pertaining to oil change intervals............. personally as it costs so very little to do, I always change my oil and filter at least every 6,000 miles.

All the best

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - Lumber007

I recently had my 2011 520d timing chain issue costing me £2k :(

it has 95K on the meter. Wasnt aware that Chain issue was/is problem with this engine.

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - RobJP

I recently had my 2011 520d timing chain issue costing me £2k :(

it has 95K on the meter. Wasnt aware that Chain issue was/is problem with this engine.

Timing chain issues can occur on any engine, but the horribly inaptly named 'longlife' service intervals are a major problem, especially once mileage starts to climb.

Basically, get the oil / filter changed every 10k / yearly, whichever come FIRST. So if you do 20k a year, it gets 2 services a year.

Oil changes are cheap, compared to engine rebuilds. As you've now found out.

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - dieseldotty

I don't think that the chain is the key issue on one of these cars.

I bought a 520d M Sport in Oct 2010 and sold it 5 years later with aprox 41000 miles on the clock. I'd intended to keep it longer. It had a full BMWSH plus I'd ensured that it had an oil change each year irrespective of whatever my local dealer thought of that idea but the real problem with these cars is the brake hold. On the manual models the brake hold automatically applies but getting it to release is another matter; on inclines it's a positive menace with no option but to ride the clutch hard to take off against the reluctance of the brake hold to release. BMW forked out for a new clutch at 18K and at 40K that too was showing signs of judder too and that was on a car that spent 90% of it's time on motorways. Given that I'd never had to replace a clutch with 45 years of driving experience I was seriously pee'd off with the car. That apart it was a very nice car to drive, especially with variable suspension and it did a real mpg of 46 (not EffDym model) but if you want one make sure that it's an auto box.

12-62 plate BMW 520d Efficient Dynamics - Buying used 2012 BMW 520d ED - Falkirk Bairn

One of my boys is working in Texas for 2 to 3 years - he has a 2015 diesel X5 & a 2015 petrol 430 - the BMW USA servicing is an oil change once a year or 10/12K - so 2 changes x per year on the X5 and once a year on the 430.

Longlife oil changes seems to be a "UK/European invention" that never made it to BMW in USA.

Some of his work colleagues have oil changes 6 monthly irrespective of make. model & servicing guidelines - they have always done this.