Remote diagnostics - hillman

I read in the newspaper that both the AA and the RAC are separately developing a device that will alert them to problems in their members vehicles - before a fault happens. The devices will be matchbox sized and will probably radio to the motoring organisation. Has anybody seen this and can tell how it works ?

Remote diagnostics - alan1302

I read in the newspaper that both the AA and the RAC are separately developing a device that will alert them to problems in their members vehicles - before a fault happens. The devices will be matchbox sized and will probably radio to the motoring organisation. Has anybody seen this and can tell how it works ?

It will send an alert before a fault happens? Are you sure?

I exect it would work in a similar way to the cars that can send an alert to emergency services in the even of a crash. I belive f the airbag triggers it sends an alert with GPS co-ordinates.

Remote diagnostics - SteveLee

It will undoubtably be a dongle that plugs into the OBDII port. Other interesting data available from the OBDII port is road speed, throttle position, gear selected (in some cars) - I wouldn't really want to be transmitting that data to anybody. How long before the police demand the data from them after an accident? If you're insured with the AA - will they use the data to get out of insurance claims?

I suspect they'll have to produce two versions. one two-part version that contains a super slim bluetooth sender which sends to the local "brain" containing the comms and computing power and one self contained version for cars which have plenty of room around the port.