Mazda 5 - Sliding door not latching when frosty - Andrew Daniel

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Mazda 5 and have discovered a problem was wanting help with. The passenger side sliding door doesn't latch when it is frosty. I can unlock and open the door without a problem, but when i close it, it doesn't latch, or stay closed. After about 10-15 minutes (once warmed up) it then does latch.

Has anyone else experienced this, or know if it can be repaired under warranty?

There was a recall in the US, but I can't see one for the UK.

Any help would be gratefull

cheers

Andy

Mazda 5 - Sliding door not latching when frosty - RobJP

You don't say how long ago 'recent' is, or how old the car is (first gen could be up to 11 years old now).

However, if you've purchased it within the last 6 months, then it'll automatically be a warranty issue. Take it in to where you bought it from.

If they try to make out it's not their problem, then the words 'dangerous condition' and 'trading standards' usually elicit a change in attitude.

Mazda 5 - Sliding door not latching when frosty - Andrew Daniel

apologies - it is a Nov 07 reg car I bought it 2 months ago, from a non-mazda used car dealership. I have booked it in at a Mazda dealership for them to have a look at - they quoted £300 to replace the latch mechanism

Mazda 5 - Sliding door not latching when frosty - RobJP

If you want to get the selling garage to pay for the work, you must give them the opportunity to carry out the fix first.

Go direct to main agent, and you will struggle to get back your £300 from the selling garage.

Mazda 5 - Sliding door not latching when frosty - Cyd

Go direct to main agent, and you will struggle to get back your £300 from the selling garage.

The OP won't struggle at all - he simply won't get it back

Take the vehicle back to where you bought it. Ask them to REPLACE the latch - simply spraying lube (especially WD40) inside it can cause more problems than it solves (I used to be in Door Systems at Rover, so have some background in this subject matter).