Why do electric cars cost so much? - movilogo

With simpler engine (motor) and lack of gearbox, they should be far cheaper.

Is the cost due to battery? Is it the manufacturing cost or because of patent/royalty etc.?

Why do electric cars cost so much? - Graham567

Is it not the same with all new technology? A new 4k tv comes out and its £4000.1-2 years down the line its £600.If they priced new stuff,cheap then no one would buy the old stuff first.

Why do electric cars cost so much? - gordonbennet

Very niche at the moment, a fashion statement to some? low volumes will mean high prices, its not just the lack of range putting people off.

People have been in fist fights over a parking space or filtering before now, whats going to be the situation when the present public space charging points have to cope with 10/20/1000 times as many electric cars on the road doing journeys, about the same time our leader's (all of 'em for years) lack of foresight and competence reaps it rewards when the lights start going out as power generation dips us back to 3 day week type shortages.

I suspect a lot of people are hanging back to see what happens anyway, for similar money you can get a Hybrid Toyota which is a competent proven long range vehicle that last many years, and that won't be worth threepence ha'penny at three years old either.

Why do electric cars cost so much? - alan1302

Is it not the same with all new technology? A new 4k tv comes out and its £4000.1-2 years down the line its £600.If they priced new stuff,cheap then no one would buy the old stuff first.

The need to recoup R&D costs, investments in new manufactuiring etc.

With simpler engine (motor) and lack of gearbox, they should be far cheaper.

Is the cost due to battery? Is it the manufacturing cost or because of patent/royalty etc.?

New technology so there is a lo more R&D involved so that needs to be recouped. Then sales are not going to be high until people get more used to the idea so they need to sell them at a higher price. The motors are being developed all the time and there will be less standard parts shared between models which makes it more expenisve. And the batteries are expenisve as well and another item constantly being developed and I expect patents/royalties all come into as well.

Why do electric cars cost so much? - Bolt

I am of the opinion prices of EV`s are not going to drop that much, as these cars become more reliable, there wont be any need to replace a car,only possibly the batteries occasionaly and any wear and tear parts

unless they make built in faults, or components with short lifespans the only people that will want a new car are the usual ones that want to or get fed up with it.

But that all depends on whether they are succesfull or not I`m not so sure they will be

I wonder how govt. will tax us when most cars on road become electric :-)

Joking aside, I am looking forward to China producing electric cars in mass scale. That will reduce the price for sure.

A cheap used electric car would be a good buy as 2nd car.

Why do electric cars cost so much? - madf

Well look at all that copper cable. None of it is lightweight. Have you bought electric cable recently?

And there's a battery.

And an engine.

And a BIG electric motor/dynamo.

And lots of clever electronics..

"With simpler engine (motor) and lack of gearbox, they should be far cheaper."

The Prius has LOTS of gearbox parts..

Prius is a hybrid (engine + motor + battery) so it is lot more complex than traditional ICE cars.

A pure electric car has one (usually) motor - far simpler than IC engine

No gearbox - motor torque is constant at any RPM

electronics - probably same amount as in IC cars if not less (no fuel mixing, no timing/ignition, no exhaust gas control, no gear selection algorithm etc.)

Battery - well, this is an expensive item at the moment

Bigger battery...

Why do electric cars cost so much? - meldrew

They already have a government subsidy off the list price and are still not worth the money. If limited range is not a big enough problem do some mental arithmetic on the (annual) cost of batteries plus depreciation. No thank you!

They already have a government subsidy off the list price and are still not worth the money. If limited range is not a big enough problem do some mental arithmetic on the (annual) cost of batteries plus depreciation. No thank you!

The Sunbsidy is taken into account when the makers set the UK price. Take off the subsidy and prices would fall.

Rather like windfarms... No susbisdy = no windfarms.

Why do electric cars cost so much? - glowplug

Just a couple of points -

i) Worldwide fossil fuels are subsidised to $500 billion dollars per year.

ii) My electric car doesn't cost much after the subsidies.

Just a couple of points -

i) Worldwide fossil fuels are subsidised to $500 billion dollars per year.

ii) My electric car doesn't cost much after the subsidies.

You are talking coal.

Why do electric cars cost so much? - glowplug

OK show me your evidence and I'll show you mine.

If you think that the fossil fuel industry isn't subsidised you've not been researching what you're saying.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/18/fossil...f

As for the Zoe. My local Renault dealer was selling them for £89 per month (very small deposit) over 3 years then pay off the outstanding or give it back. Battery rental for 5000 miles per year was £70 per month. The charging point was fitted as part of the package. Free charging at multiple places in my local area. In 6 months I've done around 3000 miles commuting and haven't noticed a significant change in my electric bill.

Was yours expensive to run or buy?

Edited by glowplug on 20/01/2016 at 13:23

Why do electric cars cost so much? - slkfanboy

I am not sure why we think electric car are in anyway new. Infact I think the first was made in 1832 or thereabouts, yes that's getting on for a 184 years ago.

Basically while the best battery can do something like 2Mj /kg of engery petrol is 44.4Mj/Kg. And those high every batter are mega toxic.

Therefore a 55 litre tank of petrol weighs in at 44kg and gives just under 2000Mj with batteries that would be 1000kg i.e. a metric ton.

The cost and life span of batteries are the real killers at at £500 per Kg of battery you are talking £500,000 (55l petrol equiv).

So basically in the next 184 years maybe all battery cars will be an option

OK show me your evidence and I'll show you mine.

If you think that the fossil fuel industry isn't subsidised you've not been researching what you're saying.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/may/18/fossil...fcommuting and haven't noticed a significant change in my electric bill.

Was yours expensive to run or buy?

A lot of what they mention as a 'subsidy' is nothing of the sort in that article