Peugeot 306 - Starting Problems - Mike.D1234

Hi,

I have a 1.8 2000 reg petrol 306. A couple of months ago I went outside to start it and nothing! All lights on the dash light up but nothing at all from the engine. Luckily I live on a slopped road so I pushed it, jumped in and bump started it my self.

That happened once and then didnt happen for a while. Lately though, it seems to be happening more and more often. Again the same thing, lights on the dash always light up but nothing from the engine but it bump starts first time. I'm thinking starter motor but wanted to get some feedback in case any one has come across this before with a 306 and found the problem was something else.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike.

Peugeot 306 - Starting Problems - RobJP

Most likely to be a cell on the battery failing.

Peugeot 306 - Starting Problems - Peter.N.

Do the lights dim at all when trying to engage the starter? If not its most likely to be the starter. You can check by running a wire from the battery+ and just touching it on the small terminal on the starter which should make it work if its OK. If not check for 12volts on the large starter terminal in case you have a bad connection.

I just tried a brand new battery on it (borrowed) from a shop near me and it still didnt start. I thought I would try the easiest option first. I'm not sure I can get to the starter motor? I'm pretty sure its buried under some other bits near the center, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing? Thanks for you assistance.

Mike

I'm pretty sure to get to the starter i would have to remove all of the battery box and support tray and also the air box and piping and air intake pipe and bracket.

Mike