VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - Wabbitt

My daughter's Polo often cuts out in wet weather, usually after some warning stutters.

It re-starts with no problem.

However, although it responds correctly to steady increase in throttle, if you 'blip' the accelerator it cuts out.

Our local (excellent) garage was unable to reproduce the fault - in spite of much driving through deep puddles.

What could be causing this? And what can we do?

(I have tried liberal application of WD40 - sprayed on when the engine, and weather, were dry. Apart from the car being reluctant to start the next morning, this seems to have made no difference)

VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think this has probably got old style dizzy cap an leads.perhaps take a look inside for any corrosion or fractures,or burning on rotor arm tip.
VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - Big John

As previously mentioned the dizzy cap or coil pack (not sure what fitted) is in a very prone posotion on the polo behind the radiator. On our polo I used to cook (yes cook in the oven very low heat on baking tray lined with grease proof paper) the ignition leads once a year and refit coating with grease (stops condensation ). Kept things reliable - before this I bought a set of leads per year!

However- I also had problems with carb icing when the hot air (off exhaust manifold) divertor valve failed. R reg probably has single point injection which is like a modern carb ie check that hot air makes back into the system (follow air pipe from manifold)

As previously mentioned the dizzy cap or coil pack (not sure what fitted) is in a very prone posotion on the polo behind the radiator. On our polo I used to cook (yes cook in the oven very low heat on baking tray lined with grease proof paper) the ignition leads once a year and refit coating with grease (stops condensation ). Kept things reliable - before this I bought a set of leads per year!

However- I also had problems with carb icing when the hot air (off exhaust manifold) divertor valve failed. R reg probably has single point injection which is like a modern carb ie check that hot air makes back into the system (follow air pipe from manifold)

Thanks for this John - especially 2nd paragraph. Yes, it is single point ..... will check the 'hot breath' situation tomorrow!

I have to confess that it 'feels' more like an air (or fuel) problem than electric because of the conking out when the accelerator is blipped but satisfactory increase in revs when smoothly increasing pressure in accelerator .....

I would think this has probably got old style dizzy cap an leads.perhaps take a look inside for any corrosion or fractures,or burning on rotor arm tip.

Thanks for this suggestion elekie. We did all the cap and leads stuff a few weeks ago .... and in fairness, it was all OK until today's downpour ..... maybe need to recheck and refettle ....

VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - focussed

Thanks for this suggestion elekie. We did all the cap and leads stuff a few weeks ago .... and in fairness, it was all OK until today's downpour ..... maybe need to recheck and refettle ....

Does anyone remember the old dodge to keep your 850 mini running when it's raining?

Get hold of a decent thick rubber glove, it's got four fingers and a thumb =5

The distributor has four plug leads and a coil lead = 5

Punch holes in the ends of the fingers and the thumb and fit it over the leads and the cap and way down over the distributor body. Secure with a cable tie around the distributor body to keep the water out- this worked until years later Lucas brought out a plastic boot that did the same job.

VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - elekie&a/c doctor

Are you sure it is single point injection?Lift the air cleaner to count the injectors.If you can access the 3 letter engine code ,either on the cam belt cover or from the white sticker in the boot,this will confirm the engine type.Is the dizzy on the end of the camshaft?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 04/01/2016 at 07:59

VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - Railroad.
High tension ignition problems always start at the spark plugs. As they get old the gaps widen, and their resistance increases. The HT spark is then much more likely to take an alternative path to earth, hence starting difficulties and misfires. The spark plugs must also be the correct specification. Any old plugs will not do. Once the plugs are worn problems with the cap, rotor arm and leads will stem from there. Check the plug leads for resistance. They should measure around 5kohms per foot, so for example a plug lead measuring 18" should not exceed 7.5kohms. Replace any that are out of spec.
VW Polo 1.0L R reg - Polo dies in the wet - Perfection

I am not a mechanic, but the problem you described is similar to my old Polo 1.0 N reg.

The ignition module may have hair line cracks which then allows moisture to get in. The high voltage sparks is very small not enough sparks when tested. The module is located under the bonnet near windscreen. I think it cost around £50 many years ago.

The other issue I had was intermittent starting problems. This is caused by poor electrical connection on the immobiliser transponder near the ignition key barrel. VW used the wrong material, which over time corrosion occurs. Check the connectors and clean it anyway to rule things out.

All the above described of problems are very common fault. So please check as they are easy to do.

Edited by Perfection on 05/01/2016 at 15:33