Peugeot 205 Sceptre - Are all modern tyres like this? - Guzzian

Hi all,

I have just registered here today having read Honest John most Saturdays in the paper I think I should get a balanced, sensible response to my question.

Are all modern tyres made so flimsy especially in the sidewall these days?

I drive my old Peugeot 205 TD about 10 miles on rural (read rough) roads most days and recently I hit a pothole, this resulted in the tyre coming away from the wheel rim, effectively break the bead and obviously causing an instant deflation. The tyre is not punctured, I took the tyre off and checked the rim for damage, it was OK so put the tyre back on and all is well again.

The tyre is a Pirelli of standard size on a standard Peugeot steel wheel, so the quality of components should be good. But this tyre and others I have always thought seem thin and soft compared to tyres of old.

So who makes a tough tyre suitable for rough country roads, longevity is not too important but resonable/good grip is.

Thanks for reading,

Guzzian.

Peugeot 205 Sceptre - Are all modern tyres like this? - gordonbennet

Presumably you are on the correct sensible size for the cars age and low profile tyres/wheels haven't been fitted in place?

If the tyres are right size XL rated might be slightly tougher, or you might find a van spec tyre, possibly stated as reinforced.

However it is most unusual for a simple road pot hole to force a tyre from the rim unless it was at a very low pressure, so suspect it has has a punture and was almost flat to allow this to happen.

Not sure as i'd be too happy running on that same tyre after this but that choice is yours, keep an eye on it if you decide to drive on it in case a radial cord or several have been weakened and could snap, look for bulges or distortion.

Edited by gordonbennet on 03/01/2016 at 21:20

Peugeot 205 Sceptre - Are all modern tyres like this? - Peter.N.

I drive over half a mile of rough forest track to reach the road every time I go out and have done for the last 45 years and I cant remember the last ime I had a puncture and have never had a tyre come off.

Low profile tyres are prone to this as gordonbennet mentions but you shouldn't have a problem with 65 tyres which is what I use, yours might even be 70s which are even better. Until recently I have used cheapies but the last ones I fitted were Michelins as they were not much dearer, they have been fine to.

Peugeot 205 Sceptre - Are all modern tyres like this? - Guzzian

Tyres are standard size, 165/70 13 as state in first post and no punctures. I have checked the pressure every day for 5 days now and not lost a pound.

But thanks for suggesting van tyres, something to consider.

Edited by Guzzian on 04/01/2016 at 06:50