Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - Shay uk
Hello,

Thank you for reading my thread.

I am searching online for a while now to find which car is best for me, I drove for ten years but not in the UK, and I found this forums very promising.

I am looking for a cheap to run car, I do care about the size and look of the car as well, so basically I am not interested in very small cars like old ford fiesta or yaris.

Mpg is important for me as well as other run costs and insurance.

My budget is max £2k, the cars that I've found interesting are :

Nissan Almera
Nissan pixo
Peugeot 207
VW polo
Volvo s40

I need help and advice to select a car, as my knowledge is not enough and I am confused, I don't know if a diesel one would be good for me as I will travel at least twice a week.

Hope to hear soon from you with suggestions for any other car or questions.

Best Regards,
Shay

Edited by Shay uk on 24/12/2015 at 22:10

Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - hillman

I've read good reports abot the Volvo S40 but whether you'll get a good one within your budget is questionable. Stay away from diesels - at that age they are bad news.

Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - Ethan Edwards

2 grand..might be enough for a young chaps first insurance but that leaves about a pound for the car itself. My 2p look up Banger nomics on Google and buy on condition and nothing else. Non conventional sources are your best bet. Supermarket notice boards. Local free newspaper small ads. EBay etc. Be prepared to look at fifty to find one gem.

I am 33, and the average insurance for me is around £1300 . 2k is for car only . My qustion is based on your experience, which car from my list or any other car is suitable for me . Well, mpg and not being very small is what I am looking for.

Thanks.
Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - RobJP

You say that you do NOT want a very small car, like a Fiesta or Yaris.

But then you have a Polo as one of your possible choices. Which is the same size as Fiesta or Yaris

£2k to spend on a car ? Buy a Yaris with a manual gearbox.

Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - alan1302

You say that you do NOT want a very small car, like a Fiesta or Yaris.

But then you have a Polo as one of your possible choices. Which is the same size as Fiesta or Yaris

£2k to spend on a car ? Buy a Yaris with a manual gearbox.

They have a Nissan Pizo on there as well which certainly is a small car!!

Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - Big John

"I don't know if a diesel one would be good for me as I will travel at least twice a week"

How far?

For that price/age probably best to avoid diesel as they can be prone to expensive repair costs and have usually done high mileages (if low mileage - check, check and check again) although the VW 1.9 pd usually lasts well (I've just sold my old 2003 Skoda Superb I 1.9 pd after 10 years of reliable motoring over 170k miles - still on the original clutch, battery and exhaust!)

Nissan's and Toyota's likely to be reliable depending on service history. At this price/age condition is all! Buy the best you can find/afford as repair costs could quickly eclipse the original purchase price

Thanks all,

To be honest polo is not thats all.

However I have a new list now, I would really appreciate if you check this one, all are less than £2k and based on a search for cars with 50mpg or more, could not find any nissan or almera one :

Hyundai Amica 1.1. £650. 49k miles
Vouxal corsa 1.0. £750. 30k miles
Suzuki alto. 1.1. £495 38k miles
Hyundai. Accent. 1.5. £795. 50k miles
Rover 45. 2.0tdi. £900. 28k miles
Renault grand scenic. 1.5tdi. £990. 46k miles
Renault laguna. 1.9. £1300. 50k
Hyundai getz. 1.1. £1395. 49k miles
Mitsubishi Colt. 1.1. £ 1650. 41k miles
Mitsubishi Carisma. 1.8 tdi. £1800. 25k miles
Peugeot 307 hdi 2.0. 29k miles

As I checked them online based on their details, spec And pics I need your help and advice dear Honest John or any other professinals .

Thanks a lot.
Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - RobJP

I think we've got another troll here. Happy to be corrected though. But that list contains a complete size and price variety of cars, so wide as to be meaningless.

If you're serious, then decide what you actually want, in terms of size, etc. Else you're just wasting your (and our) time.

I think we've got another troll here. Happy to be corrected though. But that list contains a complete size and price variety of cars, so wide as to be meaningless.

If you're serious, then decide what you actually want, in terms of size, etc. Else you're just wasting your (and our) time.

Agreed - seems to be just a random list of cars.

RobJp, I took the list from auto trader list which is based on sorted of+50mpg cars in the uk,iit is not meaningless, but if you think like that, stop replying here.
RobJp, I took the list from auto trader list which is based on sorted of+50mpg cars in the uk,iit is not meaningless, but if you think like that, stop replying here.

It's just a list with lots of small cars on it when you said you didn't want a small car!

Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - Big John

How old are these cars?

Is the Mitsubishi Carisma actually a 1.8 gdi (gasoline direct injection) ? Carisma a bit boring but actually very good car and even the petrols are very economical

Be careful holding out for 50mpg

Avoid the Corsa 1.0 - bad engine (cam chain issues & prone to cam shaft damage)

Personally I'd avoid the Renaults (diesels) and Rover although the Renault Laguna petrols are good

Presumably these cars are of a reasonable age - diesels were bought then to do high mileages so I'm struggling to believe the low mileage ones listed - please be careful!

Thanks for your. Reply, they are usually 2003 to 2005, about carisma I do not know but I decided not to go for a diesel one for now. I am trying to be carful and hope that you help me as well .
Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - galileo

What makes you think these will all do 50 mpg, the unrealistic figures quoted from the EU test? (which is all the makers are allowed to show).

For example, HJ's real mpg for the Hyundai Accent is 42.7, for the Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi real mpg is 44.4.

Very small cars with small engines can give genuine 50 mpg if you are driving a fair distance on uncongested roads (my daughter's Daihatsu Charade does even better on a long run) but in traffic/urban short trips even they may not give much more than 40mpg.

Consumption depends on your driving style, road conditions and type of journey.

I'd avoid diesels at your price range, I agree with Big John's wise comments too.

Auto trader list based on 50mpg and more, also the engine size . These makes me think they are 50mpg or more.
Thanks for your comments, well, I will go for an small car then, with 1.0 Up to 1.2 engine size, but I need to know based on people's experience here to go for which make. And for example a polo 1.2 in my opinion is not a very small car but yaris is, I only seen them in real size and compared them when I was inside. I rememebr suzuki alto is also not a very small one
But finally the main thing is the reason of posting this thread. Reliability and costs. For example suzuki alto, the tax is £30, engine is 1.1 so I think it could have a good fuel consumption and comparing to yaris and ford ka, its a bit more normal small not very small.
For sure a few of you had those cars losted above or your friends had them or at least heard about them, that is why I am trying to shrink the list .

P.S. The cars that I had in my mind and I think they are not Good options for me now ( because I want to travel a few times each week, and I am not working, so cannot pay a lot for fuel or the cost of the car and insurance itself) were:

Nissan Almera
VW polo 1.2 or 1.4
Peugeot 207
Yaris Zinc

However, they were not on the sorted list on Autotrader for used cars under 2k with +50mph, if you think for example nissan almera could be a good one based on your mpg e perience, please let me know.

Cheers.
Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - Avant

The best advice you've been given above is that condition is all. At your budget level, this matters much more than make or model.

You need to decide what size of car you need: a small car will normally be more economical, but your needs depend on how far you expect to travel and how many people / things you expect to carry regularly.

If you need a steer as to make or model, I usually suggest a Ford Fiesta or Focus (lots of them around to choose from) or something Japanese e.g. Toyota Yaris or Corolla/Auris, Honda Jazz or Civic, Nissan Almera (a better chance of getting a reliable one).

Don't let your emphasis on mpg tempt you to a diesel: at this age of car, expensive repairs can so easily cancel out the better economy.

Finally as moderator I apologise for there being people on here who thought that your enquiry wasn't genuine.

Dear Avant, thank you very mich for your honest reply, there is really nothing to apology :) . I agree with you about those cars, and now I decided to go for. VW polo 1.2 as overall is what I had in mind, size and look etc...
And for example a polo 1.2 in my opinion is not a very small car but yaris is, I only seen them in real size and compared them when I was inside. I rememebr suzuki alto is also not a very small one

A Polo and Yaris are the sameclassof car and pretty much the same size as each other - the Yaris would not be classed as a very small car. The Alto certainly would though as it's from the city car class and smaller than a Yaris or Polo.

Oot of the 4 I'dgo for the Yaris as it's likley the most reliable of the lost based on their age

Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - daveyK_UK
Get a Nissan note.
Reliable, cheap and spacious - make sure it's a petrol engine.
Any - Advice needed to buy first car in the UK - Engineer Andy

Something smells somewhat fishy by the OP's entire posts - listing random cars from very small (alto) to the very large (Grand Senic) after saying they don't want a small car, wanting (for a non-small car) 50mpg+ but only using it twice a week (no mileage estimate either), wanting to only spend £2k on a car and listing some very expensive-to-run models that as a driver with (aparently) little insurance NCD (not much driving experience) would cost well over half as much as the cost of car just to insure. Anyway, in the 'spirit of Christmas'...

Assuming relatively low mileage requirements per year, davey's general suggestion is good - Japanese, petrol, manual, basic (no electonic gizmos to go wrong that jack up the price to buy but cost a lot to repair [A/C, etc]), good use of space. For those not car-savvy, bring along a friend who is (especially from the mechanical and electrical bits and who can tell a dud passed off as a gem) or employ (when you've narrowed it down to one or two cars) a RAC/AA/Other reputable breakdown service rep or reputable mechanic (that you trust - not some bloke down the pub who works in the local 'garage') to check out the engine, electrics etc.

Go for a test drive, and particularly on the route (or part of it) that you'll be using the car most. No good buying a car that's great in all respects except the driving experience (comfort/driving position/performance/handling) - many problems amazingly crop up during a test drive, which is why if the owner refuses one, walk away every time.

Forget diesel if you're doing short journeys (they don't like 'em and are far less efficient doing them as they take longer to get to full [efficient] operating temperature than petrol-engined cars) or not much mileage (under 15k miles pa - the difference in mpg will be offset by lower fuel, insurance and possibly repair costs) per year. For a medium sized car that the OP first alluded to as their preferred choice, whatever is chosen will realistically only get (for that size/age/condition) somewhere between 32 - 40mpg depending upon usage type (short journeys/-in town or traffic jams at the low end, open road and longer journeys [10 miles+ each] nearer the top), probably around the mid 30s mark. If you want anywhere near 50mpg, its a small car (Polo/Ka/i10 size) only.

Thank you for your professional reply, my knowledge is not enough to understand all of them, however I will try my best to consider them all. I decided to go for a Polo 1.2, 2005 to 2008, I like the car overall, but the tricky bit is I do not have a mechanic friend to check it for me, I live in leicester, is it a good idea to ask a mechanic to check that for me?
The other questions I have is about insurance :

Would it be possible to buy the car and use a SORN and insure later?

Is it possible to buy a car when you do not have the driving licence in your hand yet?

Thanks.