Dover to Weston-super Mare - Mike H

We need to travel from Dover (to be more accurate, Gate services on the A2 as we are overnighting at the Travelodge after arriving on a late ferry) to Weston-super-Mare on 30th December. Given our experience at the end of October, I'm thinking it might make sense to avoid the M25. Any suggestions on quicker alternatives appreciated, I'm particularly interested on how the A25 stacks up as it seems to be a viable alternative for much of the M25 stretch of the journey.

TIA.

Dover to Weston-super Mare - gordonbennet

I have used the A25 when the motorway has been gridlocked (15/20 years ago mind, i no longer have to go near thank goodness), i doubt its improved in the meantime, it isn't great to be honest, lots of bottlenecks especially the section through North Sevenoaks area, and no better on the Westerham/Oxted sections either, and forget Reigate completely.

I'd be inclined to treat the 30th as you would a Friday, in other words leave early enough in the morning that given a clearish motorway run you should plan to be clear of Portbury area by midday.

Keep the TA button live on your radio and if the people at your destination (or another friend anywhere who has a desktop running) have a computer doing nothing hows about getting them to keep google maps with traffic ticked live and regularly updated so if they spot a delay building they can give you a call and you can do a bit of good old ducking and diving around it.

As for clockwise or anti clockwise M25 routes, the Southern route should in theory be shortest and fastest, but i'd make that choice after checking the traffic when leaving the services, not sure on the Southern route but the Northern side is free from roadworks as far as i can recall.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/12/2015 at 22:59

Dover to Weston-super Mare - Avant

I think that (barring accidents, which can happen anywhere) 30 Dec will be one of the few days when the M25 should be comparatively clear. It's not when most people will be coming back from their holiday, and a lot of working people are off work that week.

Yiou can get to the A25 via J5 of the M25, and this skirts Dorking and gets you to Guildford: then you have to do a fairly complicated wiggle on A3 / A31 / A331 / A322 / A329 to the M4. I don't think it'll save you time.

The only vaguely scenic bit is the A25 itself, but it's a slow twisty road and this is just the sort of day that Peggy, 80 in the shade, will set off from Dorking in her P-registered Nissan Micra to see her sister in Guildford.

(Edit - I see GB has said much the same thing: great minds think alike! I should add that it's worth getiing on to the M20 where you can - then M26 to M25.)

Edited by Avant on 23/12/2015 at 23:03

Dover to Weston-super Mare - Smileyman

Unless there is specifically bad weather or serious accident I'd expect the journey to be fine, if not a pleasure - it's the holiday period between Christmas and New Year, much reduced number of commuters and much reduced commercial traffic - unlike October which would have been a much busier period.

Although it's not related, as an indication of how the traffic levels will have fallen the London congestion charge will be suspended over this extended holiday period.

I've not checked the maps to locate your hotel, but from Dover do consider the A20 / M20 route instead of the A2 / M2 / A249 / M20 (and avoid the A251 between Faversham & Ashford, it's almost a country lane).

Yes i was wondering if it might be just as easy to pop back down the M2 when leaving Gate services, its only about a couple of miles to the A249 which is then dual carriageway fast road straight to M20, and IIRC the shortest route from M2 to M20 to boot.

Late ferry i'd be punching it through to the M4 and the stopping at Reading, i'm sure there's a hotel at Reading services, bit of a lay in then in the morning.

edit, i'm thinking of f arthing Corner services, is this Gate now or am i thinking of the wrong services entirely?

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/12/2015 at 23:13

Dover to Weston-super Mare - Bromptonaut

Far thing corner is now called Medway.

Googling suggests Gate to be near Faversham on the A2 section between Dover and southern end of M2

Edited by Bromptonaut on 24/12/2015 at 08:31

Yes, that's the one. The A249 to the M20, thence M26 to M25 would be our route from there.

When we lived in the UK, and also now if we didn't need the overnight, we'd have picked up the A20/M20 straight from Dover, but the Travelodge at Canterbury Dunkirk (Gate Services) is one that we've used a few times and is conveniently located. And for info, it has a cafe alongside it that serves good, freshly cooked breakfasts at reasonable prices.

GB, I take your point about making an early start to avoid the worst of the traffic. With regard to driving to Reading when we arrive, we'll have already driven from just the other side of Wurzburg in Germany, so we've no real desire to go the extra distance to Reading when we arrive in the UK. Because of the traffic issues we had in Germany and Belgium, as well as in the UK, on our last visit, we've allowed more time for that leg of the journey and don't hit the ferry port in Dunkirk (France) until 10pm, arriving in the UK at 11pm.

Looks like the A25 is a non-starter, but at least the consensus is that the M25 shouldn't be too bad. Thanks for the thoughts.

Yes i did wonder how far you might be travelling, makes sense what you are doing, safe journey.

Thanks for finding the right services Bromp, shows how long it is since i've been down that way, Sheerness used to be a regular journey for the car import/export centre, and used to go down to the Kent collieries regularly before we decided it would be prudent to be at other country's mercy for power (coal) generation.

Dover to Weston-super Mare - Wackyracer
I can only agree that the M25 is still preferable to the A25, If you can average a minimum of 30MPH on the M25 it will still be faster than the A25.

Thanks for finding the right services Bromp, shows how long it is since i've been down that way,

If using Dover for a ferry I prefer the M2/A2 for it's much easier entry to the Eastern Docks. The M20 and A20 with the unending set of roundabouts along Dover safornt is a PITA, particularly when towing a caravan.

It's worse than you think, a few of miles after the Folkestone tunnels the A20 from Folkestone towards Dover gets a 40 mph speed limit with average speed cameras .. seems that lane 1 designated to be used as a stack for lorries waiting to enter the docks, whilst lane 2 is open for cars to drive (not zoom!) past.

When I was there last time (mid October) both lanes were fairly empty and foreign traffic was ignoring the 40mph limit, whilst UK drivers were observing it. Considering this road is a fast two lane dual carriageway it was a struggle with the moving traffic to safely keep to the speed limit, fortunately I did not receive a letter in the post.

this says it all ... (pity the photo is of the M1)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374290/The-1-700-foreign-drivers-let-speeding-fines-ONE-road-police-say-difficult-trace-them.html?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

this says it all ... (pity the photo is of the M1)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3374290/The-1-700-foreign-drivers-let-speeding-fines-ONE-road-police-say-difficult-trace-them.html?login#readerCommentsCommand-message-field

We had the opportunity to sign up to exchange of driver details and cross border enforcement of traffic offences witihn the EU several years ago. As ever, there was a fuss from eurosceptic quarters and we opted out.

And if a British driver were being 'unfairly' pursued for speeding infractions in France guess which paper would have a sypathetic feature on the 'victim'?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 26/12/2015 at 10:53

To close this thread off, the traffic was fine on the M25. We slowed a bit, with the occasional grinding halt, on the usual SW quadrant from junction 10 to the M4, but no real problems despite not making avery early start. The real bottleneck was the M5 south just after leaving the M4. Heavy rain plus late afternoon/early evening traffic brought everything to a halt for a few miles.

The traffic in Germany and Belgium wasn't a real problem, even the Brussels ring kept moving. We travelled via the A9/A3 (Passau/Nurnberg/Frankfurt/Cologn/Aachen/Liege/Brussels/Dunkirk) with no holdups, in fact we reached Dunkirk at 5pm so managed to get the 6pm ferry rather than the 10pm we'd booked, so when we reached Dover we managed to find a pub for a meal before arriving at the Travelodge.

All in all a good journey.