VolkswagenJetta - VW Jetta 1.4 DSG - killie77

Traded my car in for a VW Jetta 1.4 DSG 160 on an 08 plate yesterday. I had looked through the forums previous to buying and had noted the DSG/Timing Chain issues with the Golf which i guess the Jetta is based on. The wife will be driving the car hence the need for an auto box. The Car has 29000 miles full VW service at the same garage from new. Now i'm wondering if it's worth putting it in to an independant to have the Timing Chain checked out. I know the gearbox oil is changed at 40000 as it's only done 29000 would it be adviseable to change being as the car is nearly over 7 years old. I don't have the log book yet or would contact the previous owner to see if he has had any problems with the T/C or DSG. Any advice would be most welcome

Thanks

ian

VolkswagenJetta - VW Jetta 1.4 DSG - RobJP

The DSG fluid (and microfilter) should be changed on time / mileage. So it needs doing sharpish.

Regarding the timing chain, I'd check with VAG if this is one of the cars affected.

Finally, HJ personally refuses to recommend buying ANY DSG gearboxed VAG car, due to the sheer number of problems. I do hope you've got a very good warranty with it, not something I'd buy at any price.

Thanks for the reply.

I take your point about the DSG boxes being problematic

have a warrantyfrom the dealer's but its only for a couple of months. will investigate an independant warranty.

Thanks

ian

VolkswagenJetta - VW Jetta 1.4 DSG - Engineer Andy

The 1.4 turbo-charged and supercharged engine also doesn't have a good reliability record even discounting the DSG gearbox. Nice boot though (could've done with one that size of my Mazda3 saloon). See:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/jetta-200...d

and the similar section on the Golf of the same era (or any VW with that engine). Sorry to say you may bought a major (expensive) problem waiting to happen...maybe you'll be lucky, but it is out of warranty and VW have other concerns at the moment. Best of luck.

Thanks

Worst case i have 14 days to exchange it.

Way my luck has been going it will probably blow up tomorrow :)

Still the wife seems taken with it so maybe it will be Ok. Fingers crossed..

Ian

Phoned the VW Dealer who had carried out the servicing of the car since new. Apparantly the gearbox had a leak a new gearbox was fitted, also new cylinder head due to a piston going south . these were all done late 2012

under warranty by VW. Question is do i return undr the 14 day exchange plan or keep the car. We don't cover a lot of miles probably less than 5000 a year.

Was planning to keep up the services at a VW dealership hoping that might go some way to goodwill if anything goes wrong in the future.

Any thoughts on this ?

Ian

VolkswagenJetta - VW Jetta 1.4 DSG - gordonbennet

Not sure about VW and goodwill featuring in the same sentence, thats not exactly a common theme.

Not exactly filling me with confidence that it needed a new gearbox and new cyl head in its short life (few miles), then begs the question about the piston and what went wrong.

Not my choice but i'd be handing the thing back now there's been some disclosure (late and only after they've got your money and leaving a sour taste i expect?), and hopefully getting a full refund.

If the car has to be an auto i wouldn't be buying,and definately not keeping, a VW group out of makers warranty.

Sorry to be so negative, i'm sure many people run them for years without a moments issue.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/12/2015 at 09:54

Appreciate the advice. I had a search around and it seemed to be a common problem with the 1.4 tsi something to do with a misfire then petrol being injected down the cylinder bore. The gearbox also seemed prone to leaks.

I'm going to have a think over the weekend. If I have to take it back just hope I can find a car with that kind of mileage and with an auto box at the price we paid for the VW

Thanks

ian

VolkswagenJetta - VW Jetta 1.4 DSG - galileo

Appreciate the advice. I had a search around and it seemed to be a common problem with the 1.4 tsi something to do with a misfire then petrol being injected down the cylinder bore. The gearbox also seemed prone to leaks.

I'm going to have a think over the weekend. If I have to take it back just hope I can find a car with that kind of mileage and with an auto box at the price we paid for the VW

Thanks

ian

VWs tend to be more expensive than the likes of Kia/Hyundai due to their perceived (but not actual) better reliability.

It dates back to the ad where the woman kept the keys to the VW after being dumped by her boyfriend, "If only everything was as reliable as a VW".