Mazda 6 - V5C/2 & Tax Refund After Returning a Car - ukman

Recently I returned a car and managed to get a refund for a Mazda 6 that I bought that had a lot of problems with it. The car was returned within 4 weeks of purchsing it and the dealer was ok with it so that wasn't an issue.

But when I returned the keys and paper work I also returned the V5C/2 (A little green form) and it was returned before the main V5C certificate had come through to me.

Was I supposed to keep hold of the V5C/2 untill the registration certificate had come through or is the person to whom I returned the vehicle to supposed to now contact the DVLA?

Just completely confused. What am I supposed to do to get a tax refund? Am I supposed to contact the DVLA and tell them about returning the car or do I ask for the little green slip V5C/2 back?

Help please before I faint !!!

Mazda 6 - V5C/2 & Tax Refund After Returning a Car - RobJP

When you get the new 'full' V5 through, you fill it in on the part 'sold to a motor trader', and YOU send that part to DVLA. You also hand the remainder of the document to the traader.

Mazda 6 - V5C/2 & Tax Refund After Returning a Car - Bromptonaut

Quite surprised you'd not got the full V5 after nearly four weeks. Part exchanged my older (2005/1.9D) for a Roomster on 1 December. Posted yellow 'transferred to trader' slip same day. Copy of form and envelope endorsed with my certification of posting were kept in case of trouble. Dealer gave me green slip for Roomie.

Within ten days I'd had both DVLA confirmation re 'lingo and the Roomie's V5.

As above, as soon as you get the full V5 for the Mazda sign the bits you need to and get the yellow slip back to send to DVLA. You should get a tax refund less any month or part thereof you were keeper.

Any refund for the period of ownership you'll need to negotiate with the dealer.

Excellent thank you, quite concerned that it hasn't even come through yet considering I bought the vehicle at the beginning of November.

I hadn't received the V5C so I contacted the DVLA. they said I had to fill in V62 Form, a covering letter explaining the whole thing and a cheque/postal order for £25.

In order for them to refund the tax, in the V62 Form I'm required to provide the VIN or Chassis number. Because I don't have access to the car and the dealer just doesn't answer his phone I can't provide this. I got on the phone again with the DVLA and they just said explain it in the covering letter.

My concern or worst case scenario is that I do not receive a refund, the dealer sells the vehicle and he then receives the tax even though he did not pay for it originally. Is this a possibility?