Citroen C5 - Tax expiry vs SORN - welsh anorak

Hi there

I'm new here so forgive me if you've already answered this one. I'm looking for a car and as usual checked the reg no on the DVLA site to chech the details of MOT etc. Now under tax status it can say 'taxed' or SORN, both of which make sense. However on a couple of cars it states 'tax expired' with a date. These are maybe a month or two old which I suppose is understandable, but one car I looked at has an expired date of 10 months ago. Does this mean the car's been off the road for that long - and should I be concerned by that? I'm just looking for a normal car, not a classic or anything like that.

Thanks!

Citroen C5 - Tax expiry vs SORN - Big John

As soon as a car is traded into a dealer the tax will expire and a refund will be sent to the previous owner

Whilst in the dealer network the car doesn't have to be taxed but if driven must be taken out on trade plates

When a car I purchased it is up to the new owner to tax the vehicle - when I bought mine recently my dealer openened up the DVLA car tax web site so that "I" could tax the car using the number from the V5

Looking at the DVLA site using the tax expired date is helpful as you clearly can tell how long the car has been in the dealer network. Depreciation doesn't stop when the car is in the dealer network so if this date is some time ago then you are more likely to be able to negotiate a bigger discount. I did just this when buying my 2014 Skoda Superb II in June