Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - frank_butcher

Relative bought a 57 plate 3.2L Petrol (Auto Gas Converted) Freelander in June.

This week the battery failed. The garage he bought it from were called out and they charged £300 to replace it.

Does this seem fair? I could have got one from Halfords for £50!

Is it this just a matter of dropping a new one in or will ECU and other stuff have to be checked?

And this would not be covered by any warranty, even though he only had it 5 months?

Edited by frank_butcher on 28/11/2015 at 17:43

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - RT

That probably included a hefty call-out charge.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - pd

Well, presumabably he agreed to this. Why didn't he just go to Halfords? It was his choice.

You're kidding on a warranty on a 8+ year old car with an iffy battery?

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - elekie&a/c doctor

A battery can fail at any time.It could have been the original.As this car has the Volvo engine it needs a battery with a good cranking amp capacity.I think you would struggle to get the dealer to pay for it.I doubt if a battery for this could be bought for £50.No reset required,not even the radio code.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 28/11/2015 at 18:36

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - Engineer Andy

Indeed - I had my (standard) battery replaced in my Mazda3 last summer and my dealership charged me £125 all in, so if you adding a callout charge, equipment so that the electronics/ECU all work fine (presumably this is not a generic thing across all vehicles, especially Land Rovers) and a likely more hefty battery, £300 doesn't sound like it was an overcharged amount.

I also seriously doubt if there's any recourse about the battery being 'under warranty' though, even if, as all dealers must by law (all vehicles, or just those under a certain age) offer a 6-month warranty. I suspect it'll be considered to be a 'wear-and-tear' item that may have been fine when they bought it but then age took over and it couldn't (like mine do if I don't do much driving) take/keep a charge, especially as the weather gets colder.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - madf

Battery fails in winter on 8 year old car? Fair wear and tear in my view..

(One more thing to check when buying a car with a big battery.. When was it replaced..? If never, it will need one etc)

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - gordonbennet

I'm in the wrong game, battery supply/fitting appears to be more lucrative than politics.

I got a 5 year warranted Yuasa for my 3.4 Landcruiser for about £80, no way is a FL battery going to be any larger capacity than that.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - frank_butcher

I appreciate wear and tear and stuff but just checking if battery would be a valid warranty repair. I mean if the garage charged the hell out of it on the day of the sale, and then it's a witches tit the next day, you would expect it to be replaced. OK, 4/5 months is probably pusing it a bit!

The garage is about 10 miles away (west country). I wouldn't state call out exactly. He called them Monday and they turned up Wednesday.

Had a few other issues with this garage / dealer. I get the impression the elderly relative was sold more than he needed, and has had a few niggles since (such as correct forms not sent off, tax issues).

Relative did try and back out of the deal back in June but was told he would have lost his £1K deposit.

Now back to this £300 battery. What is the best tool to use to extract some cash back from the garage?

BTW. At the time he did not know it was the battery.

Last Sunday the car was completely dead - couldn't unlock it, anything. Manual over-ride via the passenger door opened it up but there was no power.

He assumed it was a fault rather than battery so called the dealer / garage the next day.

Of course if he asked me to look at it I would have checked the battery and got a new one from parts dealer.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - elekie&a/c doctor

The words "blood and stone"spring to mind.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - RT

He called them out and they attended - that's £100 plus on the bill to start with

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - RobJP

He called them out and they attended - that's £100 plus on the bill to start with

Yup. No breakdown cover = you pay for breakdown attendance. Don't want to pay those sorts of sums in the future, he gets breakdown cover from Green Flag, etc.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - Wackyracer

I'm not so sure the breakdown companies are that kind to their members, they still charge inflated prices for their batteries. I would agree that it is good to have breakdown cover though just incase.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - bazza

OP, batteries, particularly modern batteries fail very suddenly. Mine failed last week, with no warning at all. I drove to work in the morning, and in the evening, went to start it at work and the battery was completely dead, no cranking power at all. (BTW, a new one for a 1.9 diesel was £65). Same thing last month with the family Fiat Panda, fully charged from a 100 mile drive to home at midnight, completely dead the following morning. Apparently the cells are closer together these days and are more easily bridged and shorted out by material shedding off the plates. Both cars are 7/8 years old, so were both on borrowed time statistically. I'll be changing them at 6 years old from now on.

Has anybody noticed the price of stop/start batteries---- wow! Something to think about when buying used.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - Wackyracer

Both cars are 7/8 years old, so were both on borrowed time statistically. I'll be changing them at 6 years old from now on.

One of mine was 14years old when I changed it as it was just starting to crank a little slower in cold weather (that was a Fulmen battery).

The battery on our Astra was about 6 years old and was fine (fully charged from a 200mile run the previous day). Went in the shop, came out and it was completely dead (that was a Delco battery).

I think the build quality has alot to do with the working life of a battery. I bought a battery online some years ago and it looked poor when it arrived. It only lasted about 8 months when a cell around the centre failed.

These days I'd rather pay the little extra for Yuasa, Varta or Exide(Fulmen).

The Delco batteries fitted to Vauxhalls in the '90s and early '00s were excellent - I had a couple that did 8 years duty in the car, a further 8 years as leisure battery and now act as back-up leisure batteries when we need more capacity.

In contrast, a more recent Panasonic fitted to a Subaru failed after 2 mild winters.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - madf

Yuausa batteries were fitted to both our family's Mark 1 Toyota Yaris.

Son's 1.0 one laste 11 years. My D4d one lasted 10 years.

The Bosch one on my A4 lasted 4 years..

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - TedCrilly

So lets break this down....

1) Attend vehicle (10 miles away so say 45min)

2) Diagnose duff battery (15min)

3) Return to garage and source replacement battery (1hour)

4) Attend to vehicle again (45min)

5) Fit replacement battery and check vehicle (30min)

3.25 hours labour, travelling costs and a new battery all for £250 + VAT.

Seems a fair enough price to me.

That could be the case. But any dealer / garage worth their salt would have instantly realised the battery was dead and either taken a spare from their own stores or picked one up on the way.

It's stuff like this that gives the 2nd hand motor industry a bad name.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - TedCrilly

That could be the case. But any dealer / garage worth their salt would have instantly realised the battery was dead and either taken a spare from their own stores or picked one up on the way.

Really?

I suppose you think the same garage also knew enough to know

The battery did actualy need replacing and wasnt just flat due to an underlying cause like a faulty alternator....or

The ignition switch wasnt faulty...or

A fuse hadnt blown somewhere..or

The imboliser or an ECU/module wasnt playing up...or

The solenoid wasnt faulty...or

There wasnt a bad earth/poor connection somewhere.

AND you are also assuming the garage knew eactly what type of battery was needed AND had one to hand OR could find one locally at very short notice.

True........ the secondhand motor industry could have a better name but the sometimes unrealistic expectations of the punters doesnt help the cause.

Edited by TedCrilly on 29/11/2015 at 19:09

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - gordonbennet

If a garage didn't as the very first thing connect a jump pack up and see what happens in such a case they should go out of business at the earliest opportunity.

Obviously that's what the owner should have done, though probably with jump leads as few people will have jump packs, but people who had to sort their own vehicles out in at least their early days of motoring for usually financial reasons are a vanishing breed.

You have to remember GB that people like you are heading for the same pastures as the Dodo. These days it's hard to find a person that checks their own oil level or washes their own car!

If the owner of the car is elderly, Maybe his days of working on cars are long gone.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - SlidingPillar

While Halfords can be ok, their recomendation on batteries are a bit suspect. I think they tend to recomend what they have that fits, rather than what the manfacturer says is needed. The ampere hour capacity of their recomendation on a TD5 Defender was certainly a bit small. It would have worked to start with, but for how long?

Got a bigger and much more correct one from a local factors when I replaced the Defenders one.

I just got it confirmed as to what happened.

The owner called the dealer on monday morning and said it was dead. He couldn't even open the doors and didn't even know about the deadlocking unlock via the flap on the passenger door etc.

At the time the dealer actually said "you need a new battery. I will order one and fit it Wednesday".

On the Wednesday the battery was fitted in just a few minutes and the bill was paid via card (over the phone).

So this is not a traditional "call out", and it did not involve 3+ hours of labour or travel.

As for the make of battery I will find out and check if it is brand new or not. I hope it is but won't be surprised if not.

----

BTW if you are covered by AA/RAC how would they have dealt with this? Would they have jump started it to get you home or do they provide a battery fitting service?

Not trying to defend them but as usual we only have one side of the story, yours.... and the version of events now seems to have changed!! so its difficult to form a fair opinion.

The usual way when querying service charges is to ask for a breakdown of individual costs, then you can question each item before paying......this didnt happen.

However, now that the bill has been settled and they are unlikely to see any repeat business from your side its probable that they will ignore any requests for such. If they do they its likely they will use any old figures and reasons to justify their costs.

Your party was under no obligation to use the garage in question and didnt ask for a price beforehand, they received exactly the goods/services requested for a not wildly unrealistic sum. Not sure how you could go about demanding money back now and any attempt to make it `legal` would undoubtedly cost more than you you could hope to get back. Perhaps you could ask the question in a consumer advice based forum rather than a motoring one.

Appreciate you **** is boiling but take it on the chin, learn from it and move on

Caveat emptor......and all that

Edited by TedCrilly on 30/11/2015 at 10:41

www.tayna.co.uk/096-Enduroline-Car-Battery-700CCA-...l

Not as i'd necessarily buy there but just to give you an idea, most makes prices listed bottom left, be interesting to see exactly what make and model of battery has been fitted, hope its not some unheard of accessory shop tat.

Not the most impressive, no that's being kind, it's poor and greedy afterservice from a selling dealer who should be, but won't be, ashamed of themselves, one visit, one new battery, no diagnosis time nor repeat trips.

edit, Galileo, yes the likes of us can sort things like this out, but as Wackyracer points out correctly, we're disappearing fast...one of our full time drivers had a trailer bulb out at work yesterday, ''have you got a screwdriver cos i don't carry one?'' no probs, two minutes later ''have you got a bulb'' i should add we have a good stock of every conceivable bulband fuses etc in our oil store 50 yards away (obviously most of us carry a small stock of what we might need and relevant tools for out on the road), and i had to do the same for this one driver a few weeks back whilst we were tipping at the same customer....God help us if we have another war.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/11/2015 at 10:48

.one of our full time drivers had a trailer bulb out at work yesterday, ''have you got a screwdriver cos i don't carry one?'' no probs, two minutes later ''have you got a bulb'' i should add we have a good stock of every conceivable bulband fuses etc in our oil store 50 yards away (obviously most of us carry a small stock of what we might need and relevant tools for out on the road), and i had to do the same for this one driver a few weeks back whilst we were tipping at the same customer....God help us if we have another war.

I had similar experiences when I did a few 2 man(2truck) jobs. Most memorable was a driver who firstly, asked me for a tacho chart, then 5 mins later came back to me asking for a pen to fill in the chart, then came back to ask where the chart went! then came back to inform me that his allocated truck didn't have a gear lever! (it was an Actros with EPS). Roll on some hours and him being lost for a couple of hours. We are told to change vehicles and he then asks for another chart as apparently the one I gave him earlier in the day "doesn't work" I think you can guess why he never got a trace on the chart! I still wonder to this day if he ever was a qualified driver.

I just got it confirmed as to what happened. The owner called the dealer on monday morning and said it was dead. He couldn't even open the doors and didn't even know about the deadlocking unlock via the flap on the passenger door etc. At the time the dealer actually said "you need a new battery. I will order one and fit it Wednesday". On the Wednesday the battery was fitted in just a few minutes and the bill was paid via card (over the phone). So this is not a traditional "call out", and it did not involve 3+ hours of labour or travel. As for the make of battery I will find out and check if it is brand new or not. I hope it is but won't be surprised if not. ---- BTW if you are covered by AA/RAC how would they have dealt with this? Would they have jump started it to get you home or do they provide a battery fitting service?

If the battery was fitted - and the car was dead as described - then there would have been a callout travel to the place where the dead car was. So a clalout charge IS appropriate.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - galileo

If a garage didn't as the very first thing connect a jump pack up and see what happens in such a case they should go out of business at the earliest opportunity.

Obviously that's what the owner should have done, though probably with jump leads as few people will have jump packs, but people who had to sort their own vehicles out in at least their early days of motoring for usually financial reasons are a vanishing breed.

During my years of running old cars I carried a kit of spanners, screwdrivers, spare plugs, condenser, insulating tape, jump leads and spare coolant, as breakdown cover (and garage servicing) were beyond my means.

Now I have newer cars and breadown cover but out of habit still have some essential bits packed in the boot, they come in handy when called upon by my grown up kids to sort their bangers out.

During my years of running old cars I carried a kit of spanners, screwdrivers, spare plugs, condenser, insulating tape, jump leads and spare coolant, as breakdown cover (and garage servicing) were beyond my means.

Now I have newer cars and breadown cover but out of habit still have some essential bits packed in the boot, they come in handy when called upon by my grown up kids to sort their bangers out.

Those were the days when you could actually solve problems at the side of the road and get yourself going with a few basic tools and sundries. That was something I liked about Jap cars of the 80's and 90's, they actually were sold with a basic tool kit.

Those were the days when you could actually solve problems at the side of the road and get yourself going with a few basic tools and sundries. That was something I liked about Jap cars of the 80's and 90's, they actually were sold with a basic tool kit.

So were top trim Vauxhalls - I still have the tool roll and tools from my Senator.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - pd

With Christmas approaching I'd suggest the best solution would be a battery charger or decent set of jump leads as a Christmas present.

It was expensive, yes, but it was the buyer's choice.

As far as "warranty" is concerned if you buy an 8 year old car you are "entitled" to an 8 year old battery which will be at or near the end of it's life. Only way you can really expect a new one is to buy a new car.

All part of the joys of used car motoring (and why used cars are cheaper than new)!

The fact is that an elderly person purchased a car from a dealer. Four months later the car is dead - can not even unlock it. He phones the dealer to ask what to do and the dealer says "you need a new battery. I will order it and fit it in 2 days time."

Of course the customer could have said "wait, if it's the battery I will do it myself" but he had trust in the dealer and agreed to the install.

IMO the dealer saw an opportunity to charge an inflated price. He saw £££ signs, He could pick up a battery at cost and charge £200-£250 for a 40 minute round trip and a 10 minute install.

Some of you may think that is acceptable and that the cost is justifiable. I don't. I think it's bordering on rip off.

I think it is expensive, but I am surprised no cost was discussed before it was carried out.

Of course, we don't know the dealer's side of the story, which might be different.

The moral is always agree a cost before agreeing to having anything done.

Land Rover Freelander 2 3.2 Petrol - 2nd Hand Freeland Battery Cost / Warranty - bazza

As comparison, when my battery died at work the other night, there was no one around to jump start off, so I had to use the GEM breakdown outfit I am a member of. The bill has just come through, 50 quid for call out and jump start.

*** RESULT ***

Dealer was called and told that the price did not seem right and a full refund was request.

This was agreed. The battery to be removed by the customer and returned to dealer by the customer. No cost will be incurred.

Make up your own mind on what you think of that.

The relative has now sourced his own battery and installed it with the help of a neighbour.

Good result, I just hope the relative has bought the right type of battery for the vehicle with winter upon us.

Thanks for the update, i bet it still leaves a nasty taste mind, it would if it were one of my flock.