Rover 820 question - Alex Varela
I own a 1988 Rover 820 SE Automatic. I know that the engine needs resetting after the battery is taken off or loses its charge- I just can't remember exactly how to do this. I know it involves starting the enginne and waiting for the fan to come on- then performing some sort of operation with the gas pedal. Can anyone with a similar car tell me exectly how this procedure should be carried out?

I'd really appreciate the help. Cheers.

Alex Varela
Re: Rover 820 question - Stuart B
Hi Alex,

I always thought that if you disconnected the battery on one of these you lose the computer memory which then has to be reprogrammed by a Rover dealer. Thats why its recommended that if you have to take the battery off you need to arrange an auxiliary supply to the battey leads.

Only thing I can remember about starting the engine, letting it get to temperature so the fan cuts in and out is something to do with checking the voltage and setting the stepper motor on the throttle to get the proper idle speed which should be 725 rpm ish for yours I recall from somewhere.

Suggest need input from Dave Lacey or the tune up boys here.

rgds,
S
Re: Rover 820 question - Alex Varela
Cheers. I'll get on to it.

Alex Varela
Re: Rover 820 question - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Alex,

There was a procedure on very early 820s for re-setting the idle CO%, that involved a combination of throttle movements and ignition on-offs etc, but I can't find the details at the moment. Since the advent of hand-held fault code readers / re-set tools this method became prettyy much redundant.

The loss of operational memory from an ECU that has been powered down is an entirely different matter, and I think you may indeed have to resort to a Rover dealer if it needs re-proramming.

Regards, Adam
Thanks, Adam. I'll look into that.

Regards,
Alex Varela
Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd) wrote:
>
> Alex,
>
> There was a procedure on very early 820s for re-setting the
> idle CO%, that involved a combination of throttle movements
> and ignition on-offs etc, but I can't find the details at the
> moment. Since the advent of hand-held fault code readers /
> re-set tools this method became prettyy much redundant.

Spot on! This is exactly what need to know. Any chance of letting me know if you ever find the details for the procedure? I'd really appreciate it!

Cheers.

Alex Varela
Re: Rover 820 question - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up Ltd)
The throttle dancing routine was only applicable to the very earliest 820 single point injecton cars. Adam is correct that a visit to a main dealer may be necessary but you may just get away with starting the engine and letting it warm up without touching the throttle after reconnecting a FULLY charged battery 20 minutes or so prior to starting the engine. Hope that makes sense.
i.e Fit battery, leave for 20 mins then start engine and allow to idle till hot then a good 10 - 15 mile run in mixed traffic before finally shutting down. Then a quick visit to a gas analyser to check the CO% is between 2 - 3.