Nissan Note - Help needed - intermittent vehicle fault - geordiepaul2011

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some help in figuring out what is wrong with my wifes Nissan Note. It's a 1.6 petrol automatic on a 64 plate that we purchased around 3 months ago at one year old, it has just under 10k on the clock. All was fine with the car and on Sunday evening I popped to the local supermarket filling station and filled the tank for her - she had ran it down so that the fuel light was flashing. On Monday morning the car wouldn't go over 40 mph and eventually died on a roundabout. My wife stated that the accelerator and brake seemed to stop responding. I went to her aid and it started first time and drove with no issues. Tuesday was exactly the same and my wife called the RAC (Nissan breakdown). The guy took it for a drive and stated that the fault didn't occur. He also confirmed that the ECU held no fault codes. I reported this to Nissan and they stated that I would be charged £100 for a diagnostic if it wasn't covered by warranty. Yesterday we switched cars and I put half a bottle of redex into the tank incase the issue was with fuel being ran to the dregs, or quality of the supermarket fuel. I drove the 23 mile journey to work with no issues. The car sat in my works car park for ten hours and started fine when I came to leave at 1am this morning. I got around half a mile down the road when the car started to struggle going uphill on a dual carriageway. I tried to increase the revs but the engine slowly died and the accelerator and brake became unresponsive, leaving me stranded on the dual carriageway. Again there were no engine management lights. I tried to restart the car and found that the brake had no play in it and I could not press it down, the car repeatedly failed to start. I tried the car again after five minutes and it started fine and I drove the return 23 mile journey. Apologies for the long post but does anyone have any idea what is going on? Paul

Edited by geordiepaul2011 on 26/11/2015 at 09:43

Nissan Note - Help needed - intermittent vehicle fault - RobJP

My first suggestion would be to see about getting the fuel filter (or filters, some cars have 2) changed. Crud from the bottom of the tank getting into the filter and partially blocking it would not be a surprise, as you seem to suspect yourself.

The brake pedal 'problem' is a red herring. When the engine is not running you don't have servo assistance, so the pedal feels very hard.

Nissan Note - Help needed - intermittent vehicle fault - skidpan

I'm hoping for some help in figuring out what is wrong with my wifes Nissan Note. It's a 1.6 petrol automatic on a 64 plate that we purchased around 3 months ago at one year old,

Something not quite right here.

In the UK the Note 1.6 Auto was only availale in the E11 model which ceased production in 2013.

The E12 model went on sale in November 2013 but there is no 1.6 model available.

So for a it to be a 1.6 auto on a 64 plate it would have been over 12 months old before it was registered.

But

The 1.6 in an E12 is available in other countries such as the US, so is the OP's car actually an import?

Edited by skidpan on 26/11/2015 at 17:06