Dacia Sandero - TPMS - joegrundy

My son has a 1.2 Ambience, new in June 2015. (I think it's a great car).

I didn't realise it had TPMS (I now understand that this is compulsory - the Luddite in me wonders why we need yet something else to go wrong).

Yesterday at 5am after being parked outside overnight on what was our first cold night (heavy thick frost) the TPMS light was on on starting the car. Pressures are OK.

1. I assume that this TPMS is activated by valves, not some sophisticated electronic system? (This is a Dacia!)

2. Are the valves/is the system affected by temperature?

3. If one or more valves are now u/s, is this covered by warranty?

4. Does the car gave to go to a dealer to have the warning light reset?

5. Is it possible/legal (if it is a valve system) to replace the valves with 'proper' ones and switch off the TPMS?

I'm thinking of buying one of these in the next 12 months when, I'm sad to say, my car is likely to go to the big scrapyard in the sky.

Dacia Sandero - TPMS - elekie&a/c doctor

Unfortunately yes,the car does have a sophisticated electronic monitoring system.Each wheel has an electronic transmitter in the tyre valve.Tpms is a legal requirement so you are stuck with it.A non working system is an Mot fail (on cars used after jan 2012).The car is under warranty,take it back and get them to sort it.It is possible to fit standard valves but not sure what the legal and insurance implications would be.

Dacia Sandero - TPMS - KenC

The TPMS could be faulty OR as you have identified the cold temperature has a direct affect on tyre pressures.

so the TPMS could just be doing its job. why ?

Since air is a gas, it expands when heated and contracts when cooled. In most parts of the UK this makes the winter months the most critical times to check inflation pressures because the days are getting shorter & ambient temperatures are getting colder therefore your tyres' inflation pressure is going down !

The rule of thumb is for every 10° Fahrenheit change in temperature, your tyre's pressure will change by about 1 psi (up with higher temperatures and down with lower).

When we do get a summer in the UK difference between average summer and winter temperatures is about - 40° Fahrenheit...which results in a potential loss of about 5 psi as winter's temperatures set in. And a 5 psi loss is enough to sacrifice handling, traction, and durability!...... and becauise a large percentage of the motoring public have NO IDEA about the importance of tyre pressures the EU have imposed the TPMS.

Dacia Sandero - TPMS - joegrundy

Thanks for the replies.

OK, mea culpa, this has been sorted, having convinced son to RTFM.

One tyre was down to 26 psi.

All inflated to 30 psi. A few pushes on the stalk reset the thingy, warning light gone, all back to normal.

Thanks for all the replies/info.

Re the Dacia: son's has now done 3k+. Yesterday, just for a demo on a-roads it was quite happy at 80+. I am seriously impressed by this car.