Caught out! - Daylight running lights - oldroverboy.

Big change to routine this week, and obliged to get up early so that swmbo can catch a 7am train to London, where she has a course for the week.

However, wednesday used up all the milk so no milk thursday morning for her hot milk and nescafe, which is what she likes.

Not many places open at 5.15, but thought of the A12 services next to the park and ride, not far from us..

In the car and off i go. flash from car behind, check lights and realise dashboard lit up showing lights on, but actually only DRL's.

Corrected situation so all was well, but surely if we are going to have drls, why not fit them on the back too.

Have now left all lights on auto which solves the problem.

Grrh!

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - RT

My previous three cars had auto lights but no DRLs - problem was the auto set too dark before activation so never used in auto.

My new car has DRLs with the auto set brighter than needed but I never object to more light so happy with these - the auto also puts lights on if wipers are in use, again fine by me.

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - elekie&a/c doctor

I don't think it is the Drls that are the issue.It is more the fact that most modern cars illuminate the instrument pod on ignition ,so you do not realise the exterior lights are not on.

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - catsdad
I too leave mine on auto but I'd prefer not to. Given how many people use their lights aggressively (or to give way) I feel uneasy that my lights might come on at an innapropriate moment and be misinterpreted with bad consequences. Mine are very sensitive and come on too easily for my liking, when daylight is still pretty strong, to the extent that when they auto dim the dashboard (which is digital) it becomes unreadable. And before I am accused of being a driving glow-worm, when using lights manually I am one of the first to switch on but do so at an appropriate moment having regard to neighbouring traffic.
Caught out! - Daylight running lights - Bolt

I don't think it is the Drls that are the issue.It is more the fact that most modern cars illuminate the instrument pod on ignition ,so you do not realise the exterior lights are not on.

I find it annoying that the Civic has a light sensor but is only used for the dash lights,unless you buy the next model up which is to turn external lights on as well as dim/brighten dash .

You would think they would set them up to work off of the light sensor on all cars(if fitted)

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - skidpan

Correct.

Our Ceed had no DRL's but had a dash that lit up with the ignition. But when you turned the lights on it dimmed thus you knew you had the lights on. But it was confusing when we first got it.

Seat have an excellent solution. There is a light sensor and when the level of daylight is too low the dash lights go out. No chance of thinking your lights are on

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - John F

Seat have an excellent solution. There is a light sensor and when the level of daylight is too low the dash lights go out. No chance of thinking your lights are on

So does my 10yr old Audi A8. Had it several months before I noticed it! Extraordinary how they fade in and out driving along an intermittently tree-lined road in gloomy November. Sounds as though it's now percolated down to most VW/Audi products?

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - coopshere
It would make more sense for the rear lights to be illuminated as well as the front DRL's. The DRL's on my new car are so bright that at night they seem like dipped headlights. I don't like auto headlights as they can give a false impression to others that you are flashing them which could be dangerous at junctions etc. As for auto wipers I have yet to find I can't work out when it's raining.
Caught out! - Daylight running lights - Wackyracer

I really do not like this idea, I had an Astra in the 90's and the dash illumination came on with the ignition. I was forever changing dash illumination bulbs as they were burning away needlessly during daylight hours.

Hopefully they will be using LED's for backlighting in these always on instrument pods.

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - jc2

My car has DRL's and an illuminated panel but no auto lights(only come on my motor with high trim levels)but it does have a light on the panel to tell you if your lights are on.

Caught out! - Daylight running lights - Chris M

No DRLs on my car either, but I do have auto lights - I turn the end of the left hand stalk and the lights automatically come on. No matches required!