Mazda 6 sport nav new model 2013 - winter tyres - WTjk

Mazda 6 sportnav currently has 19 inch alloys with tyres 225/45/r19 on them.

I need to drive into villages in Gloucestershire so after skidding off the road in previous winters looking for winter tyres.

225/45/r19 is a size with a very limited range of tyres to choose from.

Could I just by some Nokian WR A3 and leave them on all year round?

Buy a set of 17 inch alloys with good winter tyres will cost about £800

I might change the car in a year so considering whether best to replace tyres or have a spare set of alloys. Ideally if I had good all season tyres in the 225/45/r19 size than I would just buy those but there do not seem to be any all season tyres availiable in that size?

any advice would be very helpful

thanks

Mazda 6 sport nav new model 2013 - winter tyres - Engineer Andy

Perhaps have a look at seeing what both your car and those you might want to change to in a year's time might be able to share from a winter tyre POV - you never know, it might save you some £££ in not having to sell some brand new winter tyres and alloys when you buy the new car.

Or having a look to see if your current car will accept (both physically [watch those break callipers] and from an insurance POV) either smaller diameter, higher-profile as well as the same sized all-season tyres (try looking at the TyreReviews website for an extensive list of magazine tyre tests and of actual vehicle owners reviews). There's a new one out from Michelin called the Cross Climate, which is a bit more biased towards summer performance, but appears to still work well in winter conditions. Might be worth a look if you can find them and at a reasonable price.

I suppose what 'works well' for you may depend upon how bad the snow/ice gets round your neck of the woods and how often - as per my post of 4x4s, driving style can make just as much difference (even with summer tyres on a 2WD car) as what tyres you use.

Mazda 6 sport nav new model 2013 - winter tyres - xtrailman

Are you sure the tyres are not 255/45/19? as per 2016 car.

Other alternative for new 6 are 225/55/17, check to see if these are within tolarance using a tyre checker calculator.

Mazda 6 sport nav new model 2013 - winter tyres - WTjk

thank you for the comments

I have visited this site

www.etyres.co.uk/how-to-change-your-tyre-size/

This tyre size seems comptabile

245/45R18 96V

The current tyres are 224/45R19. Not sure how the above tyres are compatibile but the tyre checker say that. I would like to believe it.

Should I ?

Mazda 6 sport nav new model 2013 - winter tyres - xtrailman

You would need 18" wheels for those.

Why don't you buy some cheap steel wheels with winter tyres, i would go to 17" because you get a wider choice of tyres, and a profile more suitable for plowing through snow.

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/Complete_wheels.html?pk_campaign=google_pkw&wt_ref=&ID=google_pkw&wt_t=1446623990000&wt_ga=&wt_kw=&wt_mc=google_pkw

Narrow tyres are generally better for snow.

Edited by xtrailman on 04/11/2015 at 08:02