Ford C Max - Clattering noise - dublinlane

Hello,

I hope someone can help me. My partner bought a Ford C Max one month ago and today it started making a weird clattering noise shortly after I started it up, it is mainly when accellerating. It worried me so much I drove back home with my heart in my mouth.

The other day we were in traffic and an awful smell came through the air vents, I thought we'd be poisoned.

It also, when changing from 1st to 2nd gear seems to tug like its being pulled backwards (if that makes sense at all).

Could these be connected at all? Or are they all individual problems?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Many thanks

Ford C Max - Clattering noise - elekie&a/c doctor

Have you checked basics?oil level and coolant level??

Hello, thank you for your reply.

I checked the oil yesterday and the level was fine although it was very back lookin'. I wondered whether it needed an oil and filter change? Would that stop the noise?

My main concern is breaking down with my children in the car or on the way to get them, we live 45 mins drive from school.

Many thanks

Ford C Max - Clattering noise - RobJP

My first thought is that something on the exhaust is broken/coming loose.

That would explain the noise AND the fumes-type smell coing into the cabin.

Basically though, you need to get it into a decent independent garage ASAP, for them to get it up on the ramps and have a look.

Ford C Max - Clattering noise - gordonbennet

The 'pulling back' sensation from 1st to 2nd gear makes me think it's clutch/transmission related, but in all honesty we can't possibly diagnose meaningully such a thing remotely.

As above this needs to be looked at by someone competent soonest.

Ford C Max - Clattering noise - dogdays

Which engine is this car fitted with?

It's a 1.6 diesel engine dogdays

Thanks for your message gordonbennet.

Regarding the clutch, sometimes when I change gear it slips back out.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply RobJP.

I am totally clueless when it comes to cars, would this be expensive to rectify?

Thanks

Ford C Max - Clattering noise - elekie&a/c doctor

Noise,clattering,smell,lack of power.I think i,m with GB on this.Sounds like clutch or Dmf breaking up.Not a cheap fix.

Ford C Max - Clattering noise - sharky7866

If i was you i would get a smart phone out and record the car when idling from cold, then record when warmed up and then record when pressing the gas from stationery. That way more people can give you a meaningful advise. To me it sounds like your fuel filter is blocked, hence the surge you get from 1st to second fuel starvation. If its DMF surely the clattering will be all the time. Next time try smelling your fume and see if it smells like really dense sweet smelling. I have the same engine on my car and had similiar symtons to yours. Upload your video here or send a link from youtube. Check my video out and see if its the same noise www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPr35H4Aik

Edited by sharky7866 on 06/11/2015 at 01:00