Mazda MX5 Mark 3 - Mazda MX5 Mark 3 with bike racks and tow bars - hillspecial

I'm thinking about an MX5 mark 3, folding tin top, 6 speed, 2.0.

I consider a car to be a bike accessory - we often carry 2 to 7 bikes - clearly 2 would be the max in a 2 seater car !!

Have a 7 seater 3.5 V6 that carries 7 bikes no sweat.

It is legal to tie bikes onto any car with a few straps of canvas.

In the USA the MX5 MK3 can be fitted with a tow bar for towing.

Towing with the MX5 is not approved in UK, not I think Europe.

In the USA they do sell tow bar kits - the chassis had mounting points, for the MX5 MK3.

Is it legal to fit a tow bracket to an MX5 MK3 in the UK , but for use only with a tow bar moutning bike rack , with lighting board- so not towing.

Much safter than the strap on bike carriers that also obsecure the lights and number plate .

Older MX5s deff MK1, poss MK2, were 'type approved' for fitting two bars .

Done lots of searches on Google - but no joy re the MK3 and tow bar bike racks.

Ta

HillSpecial.

Mazda MX5 Mark 3 - Mazda MX5 Mark 3 with bike racks and tow bars - oldroverboy.

Ask Mazda.?

or buy a more suitable car for carrying bikes.

Reminds me of one of my swiss customers who could not fit two proper child seats in his ajs, so had the little rear bench removed and custom made small child seats fitted.

Good luck in your searches.

Mazda MX5 Mark 3 - Mazda MX5 Mark 3 with bike racks and tow bars - hillspecial

Ask Mazda.?

or buy a more suitable car for carrying bikes.

Reminds me of one of my swiss customers who could not fit two proper child seats in his ajs, so had the little rear bench removed and custom made small child seats fitted.

Good luck in your searches.

yep , asked Mazda - not a problem in theory they say, but no comment on the leagal aspect re UK law - no joy on Mazda forum. As I say, got a car where I can get five bikes on the roof and 4 on the tow bar, but it only has 7 seats - so never carried 9 bikes, . . . mind u, see lots of quite new Jags with the {fixed} leapers on the bonnet - Last ones to have leapers as standard were the 240 and 340, the low spec / price MKIIs of the late 60s?