Honda CR-V - caravan towing - saisho

is the 1600 diesel under powered for towing a 1600 kg van

thanks fo any advice

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - RT

is the 1600 diesel under powered for towing a 1600 kg van

thanks fo any advice

Depends how many bhp/tonne you want/need - Caravan Club recommends a minimum of 40 bhp/tonne of total outfit weight but I prefer over 60 personally.

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - gordonbennet

You won't know till you test drive it and make it work as if you were towing, if it lacks grunt below turbo spool revs, and i suspect it will, then its going to be hard work every single time you pull away and especially for manoeuvering, leading to fast clutch wear.

I have no doubt it will be fine once up to speed.

You cannot go by figures alone and certainly not bhp alone, torque and not just peak torque are essential, you need as high a torque figure from as low RPM as possible, but again don't just go from figures.

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - focussed

I would have seriously considered a new CRV with the 2.2 CDTI motor this year but Honda in their wisdom decided to drop the 2.2 for 2015 and fit the 1.6 diesel instead.

But a 1.6 diesel in a car the size of the CRV to my mind is iffy-I don't care how much technology it's got, there is no substitute for cubes, especially for towing a big trailer. That and the controversy over the dubious CRV 4x4 system decided me.

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - slkfanboy

Honda dropped the 2.2 cdti to compete with the Golf and Ford 1.6 offering which makes some sense if it was a civic less for the CR-V. Mabe the Mazda CX-5 with it's extra power and torque is a better option?

CR-V kerbweight is only around 1600kg, less for some versions, so the OP could be over 100% towing ratio - not a good place to be.

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - focussed

I don't know why Honda dropped the 2.2 - one of the worst decisions they ever made IMHO - most of their dealers would agree.

They do make some odd decisions, back in the days when they shared much of the engineering with BL (what a sad day for BL when greed saw Honda out and BMW in) and everyone else was putting good reliable tough simple Diesel engines in their cars, i recall reading that the Honda UK gaffer of the time had ruled out Diesel for Honda's in the UK.

Honda have a mature conservative private buyer customer base, yet they seem hell bent on alienating them at every opportunity.

I don't know why Honda dropped the 2.2 - one of the worst decisions they ever made IMHO - most of their dealers would agree.

Many of the soft-road SUVs with 2.2 turbo-diesels are downsizing into CUVs and focussing on reducing fuel consumption.

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - saisho

thanks everyone for the advice i think i will look elsewere

thanks everyone for the advice i think i will look elsewere

Have a look at Hyundai Santa Fe and its sibling Kia Sorento

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - xtrailman

The 1.6 isnt as good for towing as the 2.2 was even though the power and torque is about the same, according to a couple of owners who had the 2.2 previously, not as good on hill they say.

I test drove a 2.2 CRV in 2013 it weighed over 1700kg, i find it hard to believe the new one is around 1600kg, but i don't know as i have no interest in the smaller engines. It was a good car.

The 2015 Tucson is a good drive with plenty of power in the high powered version, but ive recently just ordered anothe CX-5 but auto this time, again at over 1700kg kerb, the Tucson i test drove was even heavier.

The 1.6 isnt as good for towing as the 2.2 was even though the power and torque is about the same, according to a couple of owners who had the 2.2 previously, not as good on hill they say.

I test drove a 2.2 CRV in 2013 it weighed over 1700kg, i find it hard to believe the new one is around 1600kg, but i don't know as i have no interest in the smaller engines. It was a good car.

The 2015 Tucson is a good drive with plenty of power in the high powered version, but ive recently just ordered anothe CX-5 but auto this time, again at over 1700kg kerb, the Tucson i test drove was even heavier.

The weight reduction is quite likely - it's a smaller engine and many models have reduced weight by using some panels made from thinner high-strength steel - if the engine block has changed from 2.2 iron to 1.6 aluminium that'll save a lot of weight.

I'm quite surprised how heavy these modern medium sized SUV type vehicles are.

My 90 series Landcruiser is a 5 door, yet weighs in @ 2 tons, full seperate chassis live rear axle and far bigger in body, similar tare weights whether the 3.4 V6 petrol or 3.0 4 pot Diesel.

Whats adding such weight to the smaller vehicles?

Honda CR-V - caravan towing - xtrailman

Weight varies due to adding AWD, Auto box, and general equipment. The AWD Auto CX-5 is the heaviest at just over 1700kg.

CX-5 has put weight on since launch due to extra equipment and sound insulation.

The 2015 new BMW X1 range comes with the auto high powered diesel with X drive as the heaviest at around 1650kg.

But there is a very long list of extra equipment, it wopuld cost thousands to upgrade to the CX-5 equipment, and also add extra weight.

GB has a valid point - my Santa Fe was 2017kg, despite an all-alloy engine - all the additional equipment adds to the weight including fully independent long travel suspension with self-levelling adds up though.