ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - audio

I have had 5 Range Rover Classics

Drive a lot in Europe and got a Volvo V40 after being attacked twice while hiring a BMW 330D

Now my volvo is flooded and may be written off

1) Do not want diesel

2) Do want road height

3) Do want tough car 3 or 5 door good on motorways and able to survive in shallow floods

Most used cars are diesel

Am convinced diesels will be banned in some EU cities

Do not want to risk buying Range Rover Classics too old

Toyota Land Cruiser too clunky for me but otherwise v good but hard to find 3 door and not a motorway machine for me

So what is there? Local VW tiguan dealer said 2 percent of sales are petrol!

I have always converted to LPG so will do that again

Since 2012 I smell much higher pollution where I live and diesel false engine figures may be a reason.

I would like electric or hybrid but cannot afford to buy new

I have low annual mileage 4000 pa or less but DO live in area prone to flooding HELP for advice Thanks

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - SteveLee

Lexus RX400h - plenty about for £8-9K - there are little or no known battery pack failures - so I wouldn't worry about the age of the car - as long as the inverter recall has been done (any dealer will check for you in seconds) you shouldn't have any problems - the car has the performance of a petrol Range Rover with the economy of the diesel. The air intake is at bonnet height so should cope with wading at reasonable depths without ingesting water.

There were a handful of US made RX400hs when the battery tray wasn't sealed properly and wading could cause water to seep into the battery pack area (write off!) but this shouldn't be a problem with European models.

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - audio

Thank you both very much for your valuable advice

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - SteveLee

Another one to consider is the Freelander 2 i6 (inline 6) the price of Freelanders has dropped a little since they've been replaced by the Disco Sport and the i6 was never populer - being a petrol. It's a nice engine and the Freelander 2 is an excellent car with a nice interior - not quite a Range Rover but not far off.

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - gordonbennet

Landcruiser 3 door would be a 90 series (i own a 5 door) or a very rare early 120 series, even more rare in petrol form, unless you have a jolly good poke nose on TradeCarView with a view to personal grey import, TBH the 5 door isn't that much bigger and they do have dedent truning circles...either way the fuel tank on 90/120 is where you want to site the LPG tank, so its a new smaller fuel tank and LPG bomb beside it, expensive conversion, unless you're prepared to have the bomb in the boot, not for me either.

I would however disagree with the Landcruiser not being a motorway machine, despite its age our 2000 petrol version is high geared and will cruise easily, stable and very comfortably at motorway speeds or higher...@ 4k miles a year it would make a decent choice...have you tried a petrol auto LC, you might be surprised how fast it is and how quickly it can be hustled on twisty roads, it shakes a few on the traffic light sprint when she ups her skirt and goes, 120 gets the 4.0 V6 which is faster still.

Anyway, i'm not sure about wading depth but Lexus RX300 might be an option, regular LPG convert too.

edit, coo i didn't realise RX400h's had come down to that price...off to peruse Ebay...

Smaller but nicer drive, Subaru Outback or Forester, wading height won't be up to Landcruiser standards, but very capable, we have a 2002 H6 Outback running on LPG and its been a brilliant car, handling especially wet road handling is superb.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/10/2015 at 17:30

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - Falkirk Bairn

Petrol Shogun?

ttp://tinyurl.com/ob9lje7

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - Avant

"So what is there? Local VW Tiguan dealer said 2 percent of sales are petrol!"

It's just possible that that may change in the months to come....

A Skoda Yeti is quite a bit higher off the ground than a 'normal' car - the Lexus soiunds a good idea but you'll get a newer Yeti for your budget.

ADVICE FOR REPLACEMENT - Used Petrol 4 X 4 - Happy Blue!

Try to find a Subaru Forester petrol.