Volkswagen Golf Estate - Who is at fault? - Robnun1

My wife was reversing out of a car paking space stopped to change into 1st gear and was hit from behind. The car tried to go around (we asume) and he hitting her near side back bumber with his far side frount bumper of his car. He is aderment she was at fault and is asking for £400 as he didn't want to go through the insurance. Her car has very light scratches on he says he needs a new bumper side panel and paint to the pasanager door but none of this damage adds up in a 10mph car park? (no CCTV)

Now I cannot see how she could be blamed/atfault due to the frount left hitting the back right but find myself asking will this just end up being a knock for knock and cost lots more?

Any advice greatly apprechted please thanks.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Who is at fault? - RobJP

If he's the one who doesn't want to go through insurance, there is a reason why. Politely decline his 'offer', and demand his insurance details, and say that you're happy to settle it through insurance - who will probably view it as 'knock for knock'.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Who is at fault? - Bromptonaut

As Rob says report it to your insurance company and let them deal with it.

If it was on a public car park is there CCTV coverage? If so write to the council or company managing the car park and ask for a copy of anything it shows.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Who is at fault? - Robnun1

Well there is no cctv but have spoken to my insurance company now I will have to wait and see how things pan out :(

Thankyou both for you help and advice.