Efficient choice? - mgbsheep

Hi,

Looking for advice on an efficient car for a 47 mile each way commute mostly motorways but into manchester city centre so the last bit is more city driving.

I've got about 15K to spend but I'm happy to borrow some cash if it makes sense to get something more efficient.

I've considered various hybrids but most seem to only do around 30 miles on the batteries and are then not particularly efficient.

a BMW i3 (range extended) might work as the amount I think I'd save (compared to my recently departed 29mpg diesel) would cover the amount I'd have to borrow.

I don't need 5 seats but don't want something too small for all the motor way driving.

I've trawled through the real MPG to try to find the most efficient cars. but when it comes to hybrids so much depends on the distance travelled between charges etc that it's difficult to work out what mpg I'd actually get.

Any suggestions?

many thanks in advance.. (my head is fried after the hours trying to work it all out!)

Efficient choice? - RobJP

For that sort of mileage, a diesel is still first choice.

I'd seriously suggest something like a BMW 118d 5 door hatch, manual gearbox, in SE spec. Both myself and 'skidpan' - another contributor on here - have run them in the past for a number of years. 50+mpg, perfectly comfortable on long runs (I did 450 miles in a day in mine once), reasonable space, and (in my case at least) 100% reliable over 4 years. I believe skidpan had the same reliability, I'n sure he'll post on here at some point.

If you do get one, the only things I'd recommend are : ignore the stupid long service schedule, and get an oil/filter change carried out every 10k miles, and make sure it is on 16 or 17" wheels - nothing larger.

Efficient choice? - skidpan

For that sort of mileage, a diesel is still first choice.

I'd seriously suggest something like a BMW 118d 5 door hatch, manual gearbox, in SE spec. Both myself and 'skidpan' - another contributor on here - have run them in the past for a number of years. 50+mpg, perfectly comfortable on long runs (I did 450 miles in a day in mine once), reasonable space, and (in my case at least) 100% reliable over 4 years. I believe skidpan had the same reliability, I'n sure he'll post on here at some point.

If you do get one, the only things I'd recommend are : ignore the stupid long service schedule, and get an oil/filter change carried out every 10k miles, and make sure it is on 16 or 17" wheels - nothing larger.

Agree with the above except for mpg. Had ours for 5 1/2 years and over that time it averaged 48 mpg calculated. The dash said 53 mpg but it lied.

Not that good for boot space or for rear legroom and rear access, easy enough to check if they suit.

At the time we bought it there was nothing to tough it for performance or value but now there are better cars out there for less money. I replaced the BMW with a Seat Leon 1.4 TSI petrol. It has averaged a true calculated 45 mpg so far, not much less than the BMW and closer when you consider that petrol has been cheaper than diesel for several years until the recent blip.

With your mileage I would consider the Leon 2.0 150 PS diesel. Make sure you get the Mk 3 which was sold from about March 2013 onwards, the earlier cars were poor in comparison. You should get mid 50's mpg and the compared to the BMW it is much better for boot and rear seat space, the ride is much better also.

With VW's current issues there are probably plenty on dealers forecourts that they would be happy to shift at good prices and any issues with the NOX will be fixed free later.

Thanks I'll take a look. Though until we know what the fix is I'm a bit worried about at option. My reading of it was that the easy fix would be to always run the car in the mode which is passes the emission tests in but that would knacker performance. Whilst I don't need high performance I'd like to understand the fix first...
Thanks. I'll have a look.
Efficient choice? - Andrew-T

I wasn't sure what you meant by 'efficient'. It seems to mean fuel-efficient, but then you talk about the 'amount you'd save', having spent up to £15K on the car, and not wanting anything too small. Is parking in Manchester in the equation? Insurance? Depreciation?

Efficient choice? - ExA35Owner

The financial question revolves around the total cost of ownership, not just fuel efficiency. Need to consider insurance, VED, depreciation, servicing (and service intervals), tyres..... I have found that the prices of leasing cars gives some idea of likely overall cost for comparison purposes. Some of the magazines and websites give cost per mile/per year; there's plenty of info on HJ to start with.

Thanks. All the combinations were frying my head. Given the mileage I see the fuel efficiency/fuel costs as the biggest variable.
Thanks.
Yes I pay for parking in Manchester just over £4 a day.
As I do 95 Miles a day commuting, I was putting about £100 a week into my old car so I see the fuel costs as being the biggest cost or at least the cost with the largest possible saving.
I don't really want anything too small as I have driven a Honda Jazz on the commute and its not a nice experience.
Depreciation less of an issue, I ran my old Audi for 9 years (bought it 5 yrs old) after that long depreciation is much of a much ness.
Insurance I think less of an issue as I'm looking for more efficient cars, so I'm not looking at the sporty end of the market.
Efficient choice? - Andrew-T
As I do 95 Miles a day commuting, I was putting about £100 a week into my old car so I see the fuel costs as being the biggest cost or at least the cost with the largest possible saving.

Commuting 95 miles a day will cost an absolute minimum of £8 simply on fuel. At 14 m/litre (= 63.5 mpg, which you are unlikely to achieve) that is just short of 7 litres of diesel. A five-day week costs £40, a good deal less than your £100. But I am being unreasonably optimistic.

Efficient choice? - Leif

I had a diesle Polo on loan for a few weeks, very comfortable and well made. Great on the motorway. The new petrol ones have very good MPG without the downsides of diesel. Maybe VW is not the best brand at the moment ... :)

Efficient choice? - Jodd

I also considered hybrids and diesels for fuel efficient motoring - i do around 300 miles a week of mostly motorway.

In the end I went for a Mercedes C220 diesel auto. It's quiet and comfortable and generally a nice place to sit. Engine is a bit rough in town, but average economy over 20,000 miles has been 60mpg (this is better than most get).

thanks I'll have a look.

Efficient choice? - Avant

In your position I think I'd go for a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI. Lots of nearly-new ones to choose from, and good performance and economy.

The true meaning of 'efficiency' is the best possible output from a given input. So a good compromise between performance and economy is likely to meet your requirements.

Efficient choice? - Oli rag

How about a Honda Civic 1.6i Dtec, its "real mpg" seems to be excellent and reliability assured.

thanks. I'll have look.

In your position I think I'd go for a Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI. Lots of nearly-new ones to choose from, and good performance and economy.

The true meaning of 'efficiency' is the best possible output from a given input. So a good compromise between performance and economy is likely to meet your requirements.

Thanks. I think I'd go for the 1.5/1.6 econetic for the extra 10% fuel efficiency though.

Efficient choice? - RobJP

Thanks. I think I'd go for the 1.5/1.6 econetic for the extra 10% fuel efficiency though.

Be VERY cautious in going for the Econetic diesel variant. Quite a bit more expensive, with possibly very little real-world efficiency gains.

To put it another way : in the real world (rather than the joke world of fuel economy tests) if the 'normal' diesel gives 55mpg, and the Econetic gives 60mpg, then (at current fuel prices) 25,000 miles will give a saving of less than £200.

In reality, I'd be surprised if you got even 5mpg difference. Figures aren't up for the Focus on the Realmpg section of the site as yet, but for the Mondeo 2.0TDCi the difference appears to be 2.2mpg between the normal and Econetic.

hi, maybe not the latest model but the older versions are listed...www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/ford/focus-2011