FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - CluelessNik

Dear all,

I wonder if you could offer any advice to me please? I am looking for my very first car, and with insurance being the biggest factor/cost in my mind, am looking for a small vehicle. It has to be second hand, max £1000, though ideally would like to pay less than that.

I have narrowed things down to a Fiat Punto (apparently versions after 1999 to 2007 are ok?), Vauxhall Corsa, and Ford Ka, and Toyota Yaris. Apparently it is the engine size that determines insurance? eg 1.0 corsa, or 1.2 punto?

My priority needs are reliability, and if things go wrong, availability to get things sorted out. And (this may sound silly) seats that are height adjustable (I am short). The Ka looks dinky and I am worried, being a first time driver, its easy to be bullied with such a small car, so I am steering more towards Punto, but I get the impression its reliability is patchy. I dont care about depreciation. After my first yr of insurance, and some practice on the roads, I think I want to buy another more modern car..

Which would you go recommend? Any advice or tips most welcome...

Thanks,

Nik

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Avant

At this price level, condition matters much more than make or model: try to find something that looks as if it's been well looked after, and has some history of being serviced.

If you want some sort of a guide, a Yaris is likely to be reliable, but I think you should look also at Ford Fiestas, as there should be lots of them about, and they are a little bigger (and less rust-prone) than the Ka.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - bazza

As Avant states, A Yaris is without doubt the safest bet, especially a well serviced one. Also check out Corolla 1.4s, very cheap and again- pretty much bombproof. The Kas have rust issues at that age. I probably wouldn't advise a Punto although having said that we have a much abused Panda in the family that is 8 years old and has been trouble-free. But I do service it regularly.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - RobJP

You have been given 2 very good replies. I don't think there is much to add, really.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - galileo

My impecunious son has had 3 Hyundai Accents, costing from £800 to £950 (one with full service history, immaculate) and found them very reliable.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - elekie&a/c doctor

How about a Focus 1.4 .Loads around for £1k or less .You may find the insurance is less than the others .

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Andrew-T

You have been given 2 very good replies. I don't think there is much to add, really.

Except that you may quite likely find better cars for private sale at this price. Traders have to make a profit, so the cars they sell for under £1K will have cost peanuts and won't come with much warranty. When shopping round, take a knowledgeable friend if you don't feel confident - there's always more safety in numbers, and two heads may be better than one.

But if you visit dealerships, you may get lucky and find cheap part-ex cars 'round the back' waiting to go to auction.

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/10/2015 at 19:07

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - CluelessNik

Hi all - thanks for your messages. I have taken Ka off my target list. Its going to be a dealer ex-part that I will prob buy off..and I will definitely take someone along..but I just needed advice to narrow down my list so that I focus a bit more rather than look at any car that I see. The reason I have never looked at Fiesta, Corrolla or Focus is because I thought they are bigger cars, so have bigger engines and so insurance class woukd be higher.

I just typed in Ford Focus insurance class into google and on Parkers website it shows some Ford Focus are Class 6, lower than Punto,Fiesta etc. I thought insurance was determined by engine size?

If its possible to get a bigger car while still in low insurance range up to say class 7, then which other models come to mind as (usually) reliable? None of you mentioned Corsa so would it be fair to say its not a good option?

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Engineer Andy

Be careful about going for large cars on low insurance groups - they often come with small, under-powered engines that offer as much (if not less) overtaking ability as my first car, a 1 litre Nissan Micra. Such cars won't have the 'modern' small turbo-petrol engines. A 1.4 Ford petrol engine from the late 90s/early 2000s will be about 80-90 bhp. Better to go for a (lighter) Fiesta with the 1.25 ltr engine (or similar powered one from other makes) which is a bit nippier, cheaper on fuel and cheaper still on insurance.

If, as is likely, you are buying whatever you choose at an independent dealer or a PX that a main dealer wants to shift quickly, bring along someone with extensive mechanical knowledge about cars to inspect the one you're looking at (sometimes its worth paying for an RAC person or similar) so you don't end up with a banger that'll break down on the way home.

As others have said, condition (mechanical/electrical as well as physical) and reliability are the things to look for (other than general needs such as size, driving position, minimum safety criteria and annual mileage) - you can also get more for your money in that regard (say a newer model) if you pare back the gadgets and gizmos like A/C, sunroofs and even electric windows to the barest mimimum you need (not that you'd like to have).

Also be wary of buying from rarely-used shopping cars, as they can deteriorate more by just sitting around than those that have done a decent mileage and/or (like my Mazda3) not a high mileage overall (50k miles in 9 years) but a decent amount of that on longer runs. Given the prevelance today of speed humps, shopping cars get much more suspension wear and tear than those used for general purposes (my parents' Fiesta being about 2-3 years younger, less mileage but having to have new suspension bushes three years before mine did). A well-care-for example (make sure you see the service book, and if possible [if you buy privately] bills showing work carried out) but doing over 100,000 miles may be in better shape than a grannymobile that has done just 20,000 over the same time. Sometimes rarely-used cars have warped brake discs which will cost (relative to the price paid for the car) a lot.

Best of luck.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Mr Carrot Cake

Drive a few and buy one that feels good to drive. At that age some will feel better than others.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Andrew-T

Drive a few and buy one that feels good to drive. At that age some will feel better than others.

Absolutely. If you aren't familiar with the models, you need to find out which 'fits' you - comfortable seats, etc. If it's just a commute for you, fine; but if you will be carrying others, or loads, think of that too.

Insurance groups will vary with engine size, but also depend on claim statistics. And speaking of stats, looking for 'reliability' is just one other stat. When you buy a car - especially one costing £1K - you have a sample of one, which can quite easily be a poor one. If it's had several owners, it may be.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Gibbo_Wirral

Dear all, Apparently it is the engine size that determines insurance? eg 1.0 corsa, or 1.2 punto?

Nope. My brother found a group 6 2L diesel cheaper to insure than a 1L group one Corsa.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - galileo

Dear all, Apparently it is the engine size that determines insurance? eg 1.0 corsa, or 1.2 punto?

Nope. My brother found a group 6 2L diesel cheaper to insure than a 1L group one Corsa.

Corsas are popular with new/young drivers, boy racers etc. Accident rates therefore high.

FIAT Punto - Advice wanted for 1st car -max £1k- Punto, Corsa.. - Cyd

Get some insurance quotes for different cars. For my lad we got registrations off ebay photos and used those. We found that post 01 Polo were extremely "youth friendly" for our area usinf this system. We ended up buying a 03 Polo 1.2. Insurance came in at £930 with a black box.

I'd also suggest trying to find something privately. You'll get a better car for less buying direct from the owner and you can quiz them about its history.

Don't forget Google Compare - check out Moneysaving expert.com