Snail racing - again - Trilogy

This morning, on the A14, an HGV took over 3 miles to overtake 3 other HGV. I say over, because the process was still going on when I left the A14. Even a police car with flashing lights couldn'r shift him/her. Sadly he wasn't stopped by the police car, which was obviously on its way to something else, as it left the A14 where I did.

I will be reporting the driver to his/her transport manager.

Snail racing - again - ExA35Owner

Delays on 2-lane divided highways can be caused by HGVs overtaking each other. This Note presents details of the research carried out and schemes introduced in EU countries to ban HGV overtaking movements. A cost benefit analysis concludes th at annual benefits of up to 1500 million euro could be realised by introducing such schemes at optimal locations.

See www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/note/join/20...f

Snail racing - again - RT

Delays on 2-lane divided highways can be caused by HGVs overtaking each other. This Note presents details of the research carried out and schemes introduced in EU countries to ban HGV overtaking movements. A cost benefit analysis concludes th at annual benefits of up to 1500 million euro could be realised by introducing such schemes at optimal locations.

See www.europarl.europa.eu/RegData/etudes/note/join/20...f

The issue is dealt with on the A14 with several stretches with overtaking bans for LGVs.

The problem is lack of policing, like so many traffic offences parliament enacts them but cuts police funding.

Snail racing - again - ExA35Owner

The issue is dealt with on the A14 with several stretches with overtaking bans for LGVs.

The problem is lack of policing, like so many traffic offences parliament enacts them but cuts police funding.

The report that I linked to states that compliance is very high (high 90s %) in all countries. You'll always get the chancers, as you do with speed limits, no right turns, box junctions, bad lane discipline. Difficulty is that enforcement would need to flood the road with patrol cars if it were to be 100% effective as just about every HGV would need watching by a patrol!

Snail racing - again - RT

The report that I linked to states that compliance is very high (high 90s %) in all countries. You'll always get the chancers, as you do with speed limits, no right turns, box junctions, bad lane discipline. Difficulty is that enforcement would need to flood the road with patrol cars if it were to be 100% effective as just about every HGV would need watching by a patrol!

Compliance on the A14 isn't high - I've had email discussions with Northamptonshire Police and they admit the the introductory 6-month "amnesty" has been continued as they focus their resources on higher priority issues.

Snail racing - again - galileo

This morning, on the A14, an HGV took over 3 miles to overtake 3 other HGV. I say over, because the process was still going on when I left the A14. Even a police car with flashing lights couldn'r shift him/her. Sadly he wasn't stopped by the police car, which was obviously on its way to something else, as it left the A14 where I did.

I will be reporting the driver to his/her transport manager.

Good for you! This type of stupidity is widely condemned on truck drivers' forums, there is no justification for it.

(Stopping for a pedestrian crossing or red traffic light will take much longer than the time lost by following a truck whose limiter is 0.05 mph slower than yours)

Mind you, this was never such a problem a few years ago before the EU imposed the 56mph limit.

Snail racing - again - Bromptonaut

Mind you, this was never such a problem a few years ago before the EU imposed the 56mph limit.

The 56mph limit has been with us for what, 20 yrs? More about the sheer volume of moving warehouse on today's roads I think.

Snail racing - again - gordonbennet

Indeed Bromp, another 20 years time we'll probably have 30/50% more lorries than we have now, won't that be fun.

Whats worrying is the already massive shortage of drivers, and what the plans are, glad i'll have long packed it all in by then.

Snail racing - again - Trilogy

Sent email to transport manager at lunchtime, so far no reply!

Snail racing - again - Wackyracer

Whats worrying is the already massive shortage of drivers, and what the plans are, glad i'll have long packed it all in by then.

The problem is young people are smarter now, none of them want to work long unsociable hours for low wages and many of them won't put up with the way employers are treating drivers these days.

I doubt you'll get a reply quickly Trilogy.