Vauxhall Zafira A - loss of oil plus low engine temperature - Stuart_m83

Hi,

I am slowly losing engine oil,with some evidence of loss visible around the top of the engine, and have also noticed that the engine is not reaching its "normal" operating temperature.

My fear is possible head gasket failure, not sure though. Any advice greatly appreciated

Thanks

Edited by Stuart_m83 on 09/09/2015 at 09:15

Vauxhall Zafira A - loss of oil plus low engine temperature - Peter.N.

If the head gasket has failed you would be loosing coolant from the overflow pipe.

The low temperature problem is probably just a faulty thermostat and the oil leak the rocker cover gasket, neither very serious.

Thank you for that. I am also finding that I am slowly losing water too, could this also be caused by that or something more?

Thanks again

Vauxhall Zafira A - loss of oil plus low engine temperature - Peter.N.

If you can't find any evidence of a leak, try connecting a length of pipe from the header tank overflow into a bottle of some sort and see if its expelling coolant, if so could be a leaky head gasket.

The normal symptoms for a failing h/gasket are a heavy loss of water when driving hard but little when driving gently. How much coolant are you loosing?

Vauxhall Zafira A - loss of oil plus low engine temperature - RT

Head gasket failure can also cause coolant loss WITHOUT expelling it.

Hi,

Very little, never running dry or anything, even after a 540 mile journey very little loss, am just noticing a small loss every 2-3 weeks, level jst slightly lower that's all