VW Crafter - Is this bumper plate legal? - hesta

Hello,

Wondered if anybody knows whether this modification/addition to the bumper of a VW Crafter that rear ended me recently is legal?

Would it affect insurance?

Any thoughts appreciated.

[URL=s172.photobucket.com/user/woodsgoods/media/IMAG089...l][IMG]i172.photobucket.com/albums/w2/woodsgoods/IMAG0890...g[/IMG][/URL]

VW Crafter - Is this bumper plate legal? - Brit_in_Germany

It looks like a hazard warning plate to me, as required by the highway code and so not illegal.

VW Crafter - Is this bumper plate legal? - ExA35Owner

This plate is a warning that the vehicle is carrying mixed chemicals. From the photo it looks as if it's hinged so that the orange panel is not displayed when there isn't a hazardous load on board.

The plate is a sort of distant cousin to the Hazchem panels you see on road tankers.

Knowledge of both these orange plates and Hazchem can come in handy if you end up first on scene in a collision.

VW Crafter - Is this bumper plate legal? - hesta

Many thanks.

I didn't know what it was and feared it might interfere with insurance claim ie. his insurance might refuse on grounds vehicle was adapted etc.

Thank you both for clearing this up for me.

VW Crafter - Is this bumper plate legal? - Sam Slagheap III Jr

Insurance companies have to settle third party liability motoring claims by law!

VW Crafter - Is this bumper plate legal? - Bromptonaut

I didn't know what it was and feared it might interfere with insurance claim ie. his insurance might refuse on grounds vehicle was adapted etc.

He's run into back of you and 99% of such cases are wholly the fault of the following vehicle. I doubt his insurer are in a place to contest liability.

Even if it was an illegal or unauthorised modification that would be an issue between Crafter man and his insurer.