Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - Harish

My wife's Citroen C3 1.6 Manual Airdream has done around 100K miles and its time to get another car (second hand around 3-4 years old) for her. Please can you provide me any suggestions. The annual mileage is roughly 16K-18K miles so I'm planning to get an Automatic car in a budget of £10K. Her main requirements: 1. Reliable car. 2. Less road noise 3. Hatchback (Size similar to Citroen C3 but not more than that) 4. Minimum 1.6 engine with >100BHP 5. Rear Parking Sensors and bluetooth

My initial research resulted in VW Golf 2.0 Diesel or Seat Leon 2.0 Diesel but not sure how Automatic engines fare in these cars.

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - Big John

The DSG gearbox as fitted to the Golf and Leon drives really well and doesn't hit economy HOWEVER search this and other sites and you'll discover it's prone to expensive problems. At £10k /3-4 years old you're at risk of buying someone's problem car

A few stage left suggestions:-

1)Toyota Prius/Auris hybrid - expensive used but incredibly reliable with very good real life economy ( I know two people running these and they get about 60mpg )

2) Your previous car was a C3 (small) - how about previous model (up to 2012) Nissan Note 1.6 auto - very reliable traditional auto with lock up and overdrive - (Yet again A friend of mine is on his third - all have been reliable and real life economy better that expected - 40+mpg). At the end of this model there were some great good value high speced models around (satnav, leather etc...)

3) Hyundai i30 auto (Petrol or Diesel) - good value using a reliable auto gearbox and on your budget you can buy with a few years manufacture's warranty still to run

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - gordonbennet

I'd have thought that Golf sized cars would be in the next size range up from C3.

Other than that BG's post is spot on, the very last car i would ever buy is a DSG equipped car for that sort of money out of makers warranty

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - 72 dudes

I'd have thought that Golf sized cars would be in the next size range up from C3.

Agreed, Golf/Leon = Citroen C4

Citroen C3 = Polo/Ibiza

So, if you are considering Golf sized cars, look for a C4, the newer shape versions abound for £10k, nice ride, refined.

If she wants to stay with a C3 size, the Fiesta 1.4 petrol Auto has 95 BHP and feels lively. Also refined at speed.

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - Avant

Like Big John, I was thinking that a Toyota hybrid would suit. The Yaris is C3-size but the hybridf may not give the sort of performance that she wants. The Auris isn't all that much bigger and is well worth a look.

Nissan Note also a good idea. I think this has a proper automatic transmission; small Toyotas other than hybrids have a semi-automatic contraption which will only give grief.

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - Big John

Yes,

The 1.6 Note has a "proper " auto with torque converter with lock up and overdrive. Refined, mega reliable and suprisingly economical in real life

I think the newer model (1.2?) has a CVT gearbox

Edited by Big John on 04/09/2015 at 22:19

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - gordonbennet

I believe all new Toyota mainstream cars (not the Landcruiser etc range) sold here with auto boxes have a CVT which is widely praised, from what i understand its only the new Aygo that still gets satans gearbox.

On the subject of new Aygo, what did that poor little car do to deserve its looks, they employing banned plastic surgeons in the design studio now.

Edited by gordonbennet on 04/09/2015 at 22:31

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - daveyK_UK

You should be able to find a low mileage 1.6 Nissan Note auto on a 13 plate.

Alternativly, a 1.6 Hyundai I30

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - expat

We have the previous model of i30. Six years old now and perfectly reliable. Recommended.

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - Harish

Thanks for all the responses, so far Hyundai i30 1.6 Diesel Automatic seems to suit all of our requirements. Plus the Hyundai 5 year servicing plan for £750 looks good.

Reliable automatic hatchback around £10K - oldtoffee

£10k for one with a 5 year service plan? Let me know how that goes and I'll be close.