Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - itisme88

Hello,

I am thinking of buying winter tyres for my car. I am thinking of buying 2 wheels - am I correct that it should be 2 rear winter tyres as it is a
rear - wheel drive?

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - Ethan Edwards

Not recommended buy four or don't bother.. My Yaris is front wheel drive. What year is yours?

Have you looked at All season tyres?

Mine is 2013. It is not 4-wheel drive.

What is the difference with all season?

I live up Scotland

So best to buy 4 then

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - Auristocrat

No Toyota Yaris has been rear wheel drive.

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - slkfanboy

Unless your are well north, don't bother. A very good set of 4 winter tyres are amazing a cheap set are scarry.

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - Smileyman

As a preson who runs winter tyres my gut reaction is pause before rushing our to shop - I purchaed the tyres November 2010 as I was planning to visit the Alps at Christmas. It was a good call as it was the last severe winter I've experienced. Come November I'll be swapping back to winter tyres again, this will be the last season for these tyres, will be worn out by the spring.

A good alternative is the new style all season tyres from Michelin, if available in your tyre size. Saves all the hassle of swapping and storing a second set of tyres, as well as the expense of the wheels, I can count on one hand the number of snowy days I've had to drive since 2010, but no doubt in other parts of the UK the situation may be different.

Forgot to mention- fit 4 winter tyres or no winter tyres, dangerous to have just 2.

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - brum

I am slowly converting our front wheel driven fleet to all season tyres - 2 tyres at a time. When the OE summer tyres on the front axle are ready to change, I swap the half worn OE rears to the front and the new all seasons go on the back. I realise that this halfway house offers no traction advantage, but should be a bit safer in winter, reducing the likelihood of rear end breakaway / spinning.

I've not noticed any strange or dangerous handling during this transition period,summer or winter, using vredestein quattrac lites/ and quattrac 5 so far.

Decision was made a couple of years back when we had some bad snow/ice for a week or so. The OE Bridgestone Turanzas were downright dangerous, couldnt stop, and the Michelin Energys just refused to move at all. On the other hand the Conti premium contacts on the mpv managed to get about without too much fuss, but that may be down to weight.

Edited by brum on 29/08/2015 at 01:05

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - gordonbennet

Brum, would be much obliged if you'd let us know how the new Vred Quatrac 5's perform in due course, family have made extensive use of Quatrac 2 and 3 with good results, never seen a 4 mind dunno what happened to that (unles Lite was No 4?) let alone a 5.

Yes I think the quatrac lite was the '4'. The 2 is now out of production in most sizes and they seem to be switching production from 3 and lites to the 5. According to vredestein the quatrac 5 won the latest Autobild all season tyre test with glowing plaudits, though I dont know if its been published yet and it'll be interesting if they included Michelin crossclimates, which have been hyped a lot lately, including by HJ.

Immediate impressions of the quatrac lite and quatrac 5 are that they are a lot quieter than the OE tyres which is great.

Edited by brum on 29/08/2015 at 14:42

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - corax

I have Quatrac 3's and they are a very good tyre in the rain and snow, but I think stopping distances are greater than a summer tyre if having to do an emergency stop. Not a large amount but enough to be noticeable.

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - injection doc

My Daughter bought a set of Vredenstien wintrac extreme's for her toyota Aygo 2013 model and she has used them through two winters.

The difference in grip in winter is astonishing, also much quieter.

so much better in the wet and frosty roads

Fuel consumption drops about 2-3mpg.

Bought set of 4 steel wheels from a dealer brandnew for under £100 and yet on one of the auction sites they were going for twice that for tatty old SH ones!

It also made her original set for the car last a lot longer. we would swap in October and swap back in April.

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - APV

Buy a set of four steel wheels and fit winter tyres to them.

Swap your existing wheels and tyres to the winters in November, and back again in April.

Winter tyres will give you significantly better grip when it is cold (below 7 degrees c), not just when there is ice and snow on the ground, although the difference in more extreme conditions is huge. For this reason, we all should be using them, since in winter months, very often your morning drive to work is at these low tempuratures.

The expense, in fact, is small. It is merely the cost of a set of steel wheels. They are cheap, as others have said. Since you use each set of tyres for only half of the year, they last longer, much as your shoes do if you have more than one pair and rotate use.

Replacing your existing tyres with 'all season' tyres is an inferior option to a set of winters and summers, but better than just running summers, since they are a better fit for our climate.

I run a Yaris on two sets of wheels: summers are Continental Premium Contact 5, winters are Goodyear Ultragrip 8. I am very satisfied with both sets and recommend them to you.

I have used Nokian winter tyres before and found them to be very good also.

Cheap tyres are best avoided.

Do not, under any circumstances, mix summer and winter tyres on your car at the same time.

Your Yaris, by the way, is front wheel drive.

Good luck!

Sorry for the late reply - thank you to all for your great pieces of advice. Will def get winter tyres this year.

:)

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - SLO76
4 of them...

Just a quick update on the Vredestein Quatrac 5 / lites all season tyres I mentioned earlier in this thread fitted to fabia.

Front tyres (quattrac 5) now on 7mm after 9000 miles, rear tyres (quattrac lite) on 6.5mm after 22000 miles. The vredesteins have a high 400 treadwear rating, and this bears out by the low wear experienced so far.

No problems or quirks , handling or otherwise to report. Very sure footed, noise much lower than the oe turanzas, and better fuel economy, you can actually notice the reduced rolling resistance.

Im changing over to all seasons on all our cars trying goodyear vector 4 season gen 2 on one car and Michelin cross climates on other.

In all cases replaced 2 tyres first, with the new all seasons going on the rear axle first, dont see a problem with that and no noticeable change in handling or braking performance.

As for winter weather, cant really comment except we didnt have any last winter, but do feel more confident in low temperature, wet weather conditions.

Edited by brum on 25/09/2016 at 14:36

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - Jes

Tyreleader sell new steels at a good price (or they did when I ordered them a few years back for out 2012 Yaris). I think you'll need a set of wheel nuts as well as I think the originals are bolts - cheap enough on the web.

We have Kleber winter tyres for this car but previously had Pirelli Snow Control on our older Yaris (2003). Might think about getting some for the daughters Yaris (2004) but might look at those Michelin ones that were previously mentioned.

IMHO definately worth the investment.

Toyota Yaris - Winter tyres - colinh

Auto Express - undated - "November special" - published this week, has a feature on winter tyres. Currently available on their website, as well.

Continental WinterContact TS860 was rated best overall for Winter tyres

(Nokian Weatherproof for All Season tyres)

Probably worth reading as they may have different priorities to your requirements

This review of winter tyres has a serious flaw ... it does not include the Michelin Cross Climate tyres, just regular Michelin winter tyres.

When comparing the Nokian and Michelin "all season tyres" look at this website and see tests that do include them, it makes for interesting reading.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Here in the sunlit uplands of the Kent coast I've hardly seen any snow since 2010, so the Cross Climates look to suit me well. However, if I were in a part of the UK which is usually subject to more snowy (or just cold) conditions then I would be considering dedicated winter tyres.

Of course, having a proper winter would be a good starting point, but that's not a motoring related topic to discuss!

Edited by Smileyman on 15/10/2016 at 23:42