Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - Trilogy

Apologies to HJ etc for using an external website. However, I felt this news worthy to post. Taken from Hargreaces Lansdown website.

Why British diesel drivers can rejoice for first time since 2001 Published by
<*** src="http://www.hl.co.uk/__data/assets/image/0008/8752193/varieties/article.png" alt="Bloomberg" />

British diesel drivers 1, gasoline guzzlers 0.

U.K. motorists with diesel-powered cars are enjoying a rare treat. For the first time in 14 years, the fuel costs less at the pumps than gasoline and the situation should persist at least a few more months.

The U.S. is sucking increasing amounts of gasoline from Europe, where consumption of diesel has been lackluster, according to Petromatrix GmbH, an oil-consultant. Meanwhile, diesel prices are being cut as the amount stored by independent companies in Europe rises to the highest for the time of year ever, according to PJK International, a firm that monitors inventories.

“The U.S. market determines the price of gasoline,” Olivier Jakob, the Zug, Switzerland-based managing director of Petromatrix said by phone. “The supply/demand balance in the U.S. has been very tight and that has pulled up prices in Europe, including in the U.K..” Prices will probably “even out again” when the U.S. gasoline demand switches to the type that’s suitable for winter, he said.

Retail diesel dropped below gasoline at the pump at the end of July for the first time since 2001, according to Experian Catalist, which has been providing pump prices for the U.K. since 1993. It’s stayed lower ever since, European Commission data show.

Gasoline cost GBP1.17 ($1.82) a liter in the U.K. on Aug. 21 while diesel was GBP1.14, according to European Commission data.

While most of European countries have a lower tax on diesel, the U.K. has the same duty for both fuels meaning that diesel has typically been more expensive than gasoline, or petrol as it is more commonly known, according to Paul Whatters, a spokesman for the Automobile Association, the U.K.’s largest motoring organization. Europe produces more gasoline than it consumes while it relies on imports of diesel from countries such as the U.S., Russia and India to meet its demand requirements.

As well as the switch to winter gasoline, increased heating demand across Europe in the coming winter months will also help reverse the trend because diesel is now an almost identical fuel to the one that’s used to keep homes warm.

The recent plunge in crude oil prices, with Brent crude falling to the lowest in more than six years, will see pump prices both fuels in the U.K. fall by another 2 pence a liter in the next few of weeks, according to Whatters.

“While prices are likely to drop further, once demand for heating kicks in, diesel is likely to return to being more expensive than petrol as heating oil is taken from the same spectrum of a refinery as diesel,” he said.

This article was written by Rupert Rowling from Bloomberg.

<*** class="nc_pixel" src="https://pixel.newscred.com/px.gif?key=YXJ0aWNsZT0yMDkwNDY1ZTk3MmVlMmExZjZjZmQ5MTFjNjM4NTE2MyZwdWJsaXNoZXI9OTExYzA1ZWRkZWNhMGUzMDQyZmIxY2U3NGJiYjRlMTc=" alt="" width="1" height="1" />

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - Gibbo_Wirral

I've never really been bothered that diesel is dearer than petrol because I get more miles per tank than my petrol engined owning friends.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - daveyjp

I'm more interested in how this feeds into prices of every day products. If production and haulage costs are falling, this may well lead to a fall in inflation. An ideal time to start ramping up interest rates.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - brum

Non story, today petrol gone down 2p diesel 1p. Anyone getting excited about a 3p difference needs to get out more.

Tax changes next budget will be more significant. Especially when diesels get banned from certain city centres.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - focussed

I rejoice all the time at the diesel price here in France - currently it's as low as the equivalent of £0.76 per litre. No road tax and MOT every two years after a car is four years old. No toll roads in my region.

Oh - and the formatting or whatever the puter geeks call it is playing up again on this thread - the text merging into the right hand margin text-just saying.

Windows 7 with Chrome + Adblock.

Edited by focussed on 27/08/2015 at 21:29

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - Andrew-T

Oh - and the formatting or whatever the puter geeks call it is playing up again on this thread - the text merging into the right hand margin text-just saying.

Same on good old-fashioned XP .....

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - groaver

Same on good old-fashioned XP .....

On Linux too...

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - Gibbo_Wirral

I reported the fault a few days ago, surprised its not been sorted.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - xtrailman

Same here windows 10.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - Trilogy

Wholesale price is now rising.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - Manatee

Same here windows 10.

I suspect it's something in the cut-and-paste in the first post that's causing the problem.

Diesel drivers can rejoice first time since 2001 - alan1302

Same here windows 10.

I suspect it's something in the cut-and-paste in the first post that's causing the problem.

That causes it but the forum software should be able to deal with it better than it has done.