Duratech 1,4 with 90,000 on a 02 plate - Electrical fault on Fiesta Duratech - Bottom Feeder

My wife has been driving this car trouble free since we had the diesel pump, belts, etc replaced at great cost. No problems at all until the speedometer started to simply not work at random times. Nothing else wrong, just the speedo remained at zero and then suddenly started working again.

As there were not other problems, I ignored this and then the car occaionally failed to start - everything working including the starter motor but no life to the plugs. After 2-3 minutes it would start normally and run fine.

I ignored this as well , mainly as I have been unwell recently, until the car simply stopped when she was driving and remains completely dead. Everything works, as before, but just no life to the plugs.

It will not jump, will not start off a booster pack/cables, but has everything in place to work, including diesel to the engine. I can't help thinking the speedo is a clue but it could be sheer co-incidence.

I have no idea what to do and would welcome any ideas to follow through.

Edited by Bottom Feeder on 25/08/2015 at 11:06

Duratech 1,4 with 90,000 on a 02 plate - Electrical fault on Fiesta Duratech - Peter D

"trouble free since we had the diesel pump, belts, etc replaced at great cost."

But then you go on to say "but just no life to the plugs"

Surely this is a petrol engien. Regards Peter

Duratech 1,4 with 90,000 on a 02 plate - Electrical fault on Fiesta Duratech - Bottom Feeder

Nope, just my lack of knowledge coming to the fore - diesels have plugs don't they?

There is no "spark" - no interest in starting - it just turns over forever.

Duratech 1,4 with 90,000 on a 02 plate - Electrical fault on Fiesta Duratech - Bolt

I would suggest from what you said to get the crank position sensor checked if the ecu isnt getting a signal it wont start and rev counter wont work, diesels have glow plugs and injectors not spark plugs....

As you had that work done maybe a connection has come loose somewhere ?

Thanks, I'll try it.

Any idea where the thing is? I've scoured the "power of the internet" without success and one garage said it's a two hour job plus parts.

One site for another car was very good and says the wires get chafed and to check them out first. Different engine, though. I don't know what to check.

Most youtube videos seem to take about 10 minutes to swap this over but I can't seem to find one for the Duratec engine. Maybe I'm just having a very bad day - again.

Duratech 1,4 with 90,000 on a 02 plate - Electrical fault on Fiesta Duratech - skidpan

The 1.4 Duratec is a petrol. Originally when it was introduced it was called the Zetec SE and came in 1.25, 1.4, 1.6 and 1.7 flavours. Then to fit in with Fords marketing policy it was renamed the Duratec. Its also referred to as the Sigma by some people.

So if the garage have fitted a new diesel pump there is no wonder it will not start.

It's just me having a very bad day - it is a diesel, whatever the "mf-er" is called. Notice I couldn't even spell duratec properly.

Brain the size of a planet and sick of everything going tits up all day long - every day, bring on the trolls...

Duratech 1,4 with 90,000 on a 02 plate - Electrical fault on Fiesta Duratech - elekie&a/c doctor

Not convinced it is a crank sensor fault.You will some plug in diagnostics to check engine rpm signal and fuel pressure.