Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - michael74

Good morning all, new here. I need a spot of advice. We have 2 cars, one needs to go, but which one?

Ford Focus Mk2 54 plate 1.6 lx 5dr 83500 miles , fsh, aftermarket tow bar. Rear axle bushes on the way out.

Suzuki Ignis 54 plate 1.5 vvvt 4 grip 5dr, 33500 miles, fsh, radio/cd not working, paintwork on the bonnet very faded.

The focus is mine, the ignis is my wifes, I am not bothered as whichever one we keep will be the wifes.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by michael74 on 25/08/2015 at 09:43

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - RobJP

It's a bit 'devil and the deep blue sea' !

In favour of the Focus : lots have been made. Anyone can fix them. Parts dead cheap. Reasonable mileage for the age (too low like the Suzuki is as bad as too high, in my opinion), towbar, rear axle bushes should be a cheap fix.

In favour of the Suzuki. Four wheel drive capability if needed, paintwork doesn't matter, radio might be a cheap fix (or buy aftermarket one).

Where are you in the UK ? Are you rural (ungritted roads)? Do you get a fair bit of snow in winter ? If so, then the Suzuki would probably have the slight edge. If you're in town and well-gritted roads in winter all the time, then the Focus takes the lead.

I suppose if you're really struggling, ask her which one she enjoys driving more, and keep that one.

Even then, whichever decision you make, if something goes wrong with the one you keep it'll all be YOUR fault !

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - Avant

"I suppose if you're really struggling, ask her which one she enjoys driving more, and keep that one."

Ultimately that's the only relevant factor!

Indeed, she prefers the Focus (who wouldn't, the Ignis is akin to driving a go-kart).

We don't live anywere where the 4x4 capabilities of the Suzuki is a deal breaker, if anything its a pain becuase it cost more in MOT and servicing. The quandry was really about the low milage of the Ignis vs the not as low Focus.

I think really I will get rid of the Ignis, it gives me a sore back just looking at it.....

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - 72 dudes

I think really I will get rid of the Ignis, it gives me a sore back just looking at it.....

My eyes, my eyes!

The Ignis really was a ugly mutt, usually with swathes of pale grey plastic inside.

Agree with keeping the Focus

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - gordonbennet

"I suppose if you're really struggling, ask her which one she enjoys driving more, and keep that one."

Never say the backroom isn't a font of all knowledge, we may know nothing useful about cars but some of our flock are truly accomplished marriage guidance advisers...well what i really mean is they know who's in charge and advise peace and harmony all round.

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - Andrew-T

<< .. we may know nothing useful about cars but some of our flock are truly accomplished marriage guidance advisers...well what i really mean is they know who's in charge and advise peace and harmony all round. >>

They aren't almost universally (on here anyway) referred to as SWMBO for no reason ...

Peace and harmony can never be underated, many thanks for your replies.

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - bazza

Im normally a big fan of Japanese engineering but in the back of my mind I'm sure a neighbour had expensive transfer box failure on his--googling it seems to confirm it as an issue. Unless you really need a 4wd, keep the Focus, as 83K fully serviced and as mentioned, simple technology and highly fixable.

Ford focus or Suzuki Ignis - Which do I get rid of? - Avant

I hesitate to set myself up as a financial adviser - let alone a marriage guidance counsellor! - but maybe you could flog the Ignis as suggested and set the proceeds (about £1,000 I'd guess) aside on deposit as a repair fund for the Focus.

I didn't know about the potential transfer box failure, thanks. As for funds, the sale is going towards my new motor, that in itself is going to be the next big question lol. Thanks again.