Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - DirtyDieselDogg

A thrifty person, so might kinda still like diesel (doing about 15,000 miles /yr)

Probably an automatic or automated manual.

strongly prefer a higher from the ground seat, and a sit-up-and-beg seating position, with headroom (I have a long back)

And Absolutly a decent man sized seat.

Not one of these ever so fashionable one size fits all scaled down for short-buttocked-wimmen seats, that one is oblidged to precariously perch apon.

Ps

When oh when, are everyday manufacturers going to provide a choice of Drivers seats, since they generally provide 97 million other unwanted optional extras

regards

Marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 24/08/2015 at 17:48

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - brum

So just how large is your backside?

Dont you realise most 4x4s and wannabees are designed for school runs and bimbos?

Edited by brum on 24/08/2015 at 19:43

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - Avant

What's your budget, DDD? New or used?

The Honda CRV soprings to my mind as it does to yours: a Honda automatic will probably last longer than VW's DSG. Or something from Hyundai or Kia.

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - Falkirk Bairn

Motorpoint selling RAV4 2 litre, petrol autos for £24,000 - top of the renge Invincibles - so plenty toys

and more economical the CRV 2 litre Petrol autos

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - DirtyDieselDogg

Actually actually, not that large, but I do like a decent armchair type seat, good seats I remember were the V70 and S80 seats from 20+ year ago, ditto an Opal Senator from prob the late 80's, and an early model BMW X5.

MY first experience of a seat presumably designed for said wimmins shorter thighs was an early model Renault Sceanic, simply terribly uncomfortable, trying to hold on with ones buttock muscles on every corner or roundabout.

Also presumably helps to create an impression of a roomy cabin, cos the seats are downsized.

budget, quite flexible, up to £25,000.00 for a straight deal, but obviously rather spend nearer £15,000.00 or 20

regards

marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 24/08/2015 at 20:59

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - RobJP

Just to say I would avoid anything from VW/Skoda/Audi if going for an auto. Unless someone is willing to put their firstborn child on the line as part of the warranty

cough cough

As a not terribly pleased nor impressed with VAG engineering or their integrity in respect of owning up to "issues" , based on being a DSG equipped Octavia owner,

"tell me about it!"

Much rather have a proper slush box, again from my limited research Honda scores on this front with their new ZF? developed 9 speed TQ box.

Though I did, I think see reports of problems with presumably? this same 9 speed transmission in other marques (can hardly be more than one 9 speed auto yet, surely?)

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - Avant

Maybe go back to a Volvo? You'll get a newish XC60 within your budget, and as you already know, Volvo seats are some of the best in the business.

I haven't tried a Nissan Qashqai on the road yet, but sitting in one in a showroom I thought the seat particularly comfortable. And it has a fairly high driving position.

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - RichT54

Make sure you have a decent length test drive in the CR-V.

It didn't seem too bad after a short test drive but, after buying one, I just could not get comfortable. I found there wasn't enough in-out adjustment on the steering column to get a good driving position (I have a long back but relatively short arms & legs). In the end I only kept it a year because it was just too uncomfortable to drive.

www.agr-ev.de/en/certified-and-recommended/tested-...a***ats

I was offered this link on the skoda forum, found it interesting, in that it reflects my "demands" for a properly adjustable seat.

Food for thought

Also reminded me that one of the best ever seating positions was in the Steyr Puch van with the (presumably optional?) Recaro seats with proper armrests, which despite their limited range of adjustment, and a firmly fixed take-it-or-leave-it steering wheel, were simply magnificent. Since the van was automatic, one could get really really comfortable.

m

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 25/08/2015 at 08:17

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - Ed V

Do we have empirical evidence that VW/Audi/Skoda are selling dodgy gearboxes?

To say the least, it would be a surprise to many as it is the world's largest car maker!

Yes, and they are aware of it, deliberately choosing to misdescribe the corectly declared in writing, on multiple occassions, fault of "dropping out of gear" as "momentary hesitation in pulling away".

Which is not really a fault, more an operating characteristic of VW dry DSG transmissions.

Exactly the same unresolved fault was reported in a 1.6 TDI/DSG Golf as our Octavia, cars of the same age being the link. Unresolved despite fitting complete new transmissions in both cases.

Fault witnessed and code read by an very reputable independant motor engineer in England, who described it as "potentially dangerous". This same engineer retained by several Police Forces as an Expert Witness in various R TC'S, which resulted in fatalities due to mechanical defects, or claimed by defendants to be due to mechanical defects, in the vehicles involved.

He did not come cheap, but I am not prepared to wager, (after a £500.00 Barristers opinion) in the region of £20,000.00 on a court case.

But this particular issue, probably long since resolved, was a software glitch pertaining to a particular batch of circa. 2010 production.

Plus the very non-oriental "bury our head in the sand and pretend it didnt happen" corporate approach.

I still like VAG engineering, mostly, but the worldwide compititation has, mostly, caught up with the Germans.

Marcus

Edited by DirtyDieselDogg on 26/08/2015 at 21:41

Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - daveyjp
I doubt the extra 20mm of ride height in the Golf Alltrack would be really noticeable in terms of lording it above other drivers. I've found VAG and MB seats to be very firm, but comfortable and they stay that way for tens of thousands of miles.

I'll chuck in Subaru Forester because I've had one a couple of months and did 700 miles over a week in early August. It has very comfortable 8 way electric adjustable seating.
Honda CRV 2WD 1.6 diesel, VW Golf Alltrack or wha - Most appropriate new car, for me - Happy Blue!

Indeed. Of all the cars I have driven, the most comfortable driving position was a Forester (mk 1 and mk 2) which had armchair comfort with a very natural position for the arms and legs to operate the controls. There are still new cars out there with poor seating positions, little lumbar support and not enough adjustment.