towbar / trailer advice - looking4car
I\'m thinking of buying a small second hand trailer and getting a towbar fitted.

Never used a towbar / trailer before.

How much should I expect to pay for a supply & fit of towbar to a ford focus ?

how much would I expect to pay for a second hand 6x4 trailer, just for light use, removing rubbish and shifting small items of furniture.

are the electrics complicated ?

does towbar installation include some kind of electrical connector ?
towbar / trailer advice - mal

You can probably pick one up for between £100-£150 in your local yellow ads paper.
Tow bars are not difficult to fit and you get instructions for the electrics with the kit.
towbar / trailer advice - smokie
I'd agree with mal - have had 3 fitted by local companies, single electrics and nothing fancy, all around the £100 - £110 mark.

The fancy retractable ones will probably cost upwards of £300 just to buy...

They are EVER so good as parking sensors :-)
towbar / trailer advice - Clear Spot
>a buzzer which goes off to show your trailer indicators are working (legal requirement)

A flasher repeater light on the dash also meets legal requirement. Most towbar fitters will only fit a buzzer which I find exceedingly irratating, esp. if towing for any distance. Suggest looking around for a fitter who will install with a flasher repeater.
CS
towbar / trailer advice - petesmith68
hi mate i used a company called advanced towing to fit my towbar they were really good and the cheapest i could find. they came and fit it to my x reg mondeo at my office i also bought a 6 x 4 trailer of ebay and it just plugs onto the towbar and really simple to use. hope this helps...

www.advancedtowing.co.uk
towbar / trailer advice - 1066
i had a witter towbar and single electrics fitted to my focus cmax for £180 and that was the cheapest i could find. very quick and efficient job though
towbar / trailer advice - Vansboy
Couple other links

www.towsafe.co.uk

www.towsure.co.uk

VB
towbar / trailer advice - Dave N
Is the NATO tow hook EC approved?
towbar / trailer advice - looking4car
WOW - my thread from 4 years ago

I got a single electrics fixed towbar fitted for £100 from www.stanleytowbars.co.uk/
and paid £140 ish for a trailer advertised in local ad-mag.

It has proven to be great value and gets regular use.

I've had a few punctures to the small trailer tyres, but apart from that no problems.
towbar / trailer advice - Cliff Pope
Is the NATO tow hook EC approved?

The one on the back of the trailer, so that you can tow a second trailer or a gun carriage?
My tractor insurance says I am allowed to pull "up to the legal maximum number of trailers". I wonder what that might be?
towbar / trailer advice - hugh
Tractors are allowed to tow two trailers on the road, up to a GVW of 24 and a bit tonnes ( I think its 24320kg or some similar odd figure!)
I think the trailers must be rigid i.e. not on a dolly/turntable
towbar / trailer advice - L'escargot
A variable height ball is more adaptable than the fixed height swan-neck type.
--
L\'escargot.
towbar / trailer advice - Cliff Pope
A variable height ball is more adaptable than the fixed height
swan-neck type.
--

If you are having it custom-fitted for a specific trailer, a fixed height is fine. But if you ever want to tow other things, you might find you need to change the height. I have an old caravan, two dinghy trailers, and an ex-army trailer. They all need the drop plate unbolting and shifting onto different holes.
towbar / trailer advice - jc2
Towing more than one trailer used to the only requirement in Uk regulations rhat stated the vehicle must be LHD.If the towing vehicle had only a driver,it had to be LHD.If RHD it had to have an observer as well-this was presumably to avoid pedestrians being caught up by one of the latter trailers.You still see fairs/circuses towing these trailers.
towbar / trailer advice - Dave N
>> Is the NATO tow hook EC approved?
>>
The one on the back of the trailer, so that you
can tow a second trailer or a gun carriage?
My tractor insurance says I am allowed to pull "up to
the legal maximum number of trailers". I wonder
what that might be?

Ha, I was thinking about the one on the back of the car. But you're quite right, there is another on the back of the Sankey trailers, although it's a regular pin and clevis. I'm not sure what it can be used for because it doesn't rotate, which would be required for another Sankey trailer. Maybe they use them to link up when being transported by ship or plane?