T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Malkavich

Hi, my car has developed an issue with starting when it's been left cold overnight or for long periods.

You get in the car and the time and mileometer is fine. But when you put the key in and turn all dash lights come on fine, then you turn to start and it ticks, the central locking goes crazy and the dash goes blank, resets the time and the mileometer.

This morning I jump started the car with my wifes and it started first time once jump leads connected. I took it to Halfords for the Battery, starter motor and alternator checked and all showed as fine.

Any Ideas

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Railroad.

Flat battery, despite what Halfords say.

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - RobJP

I think the battery is on the way out.

By the time you'd driven to Halfords, the alternator had managed to push plnty of charge back into the battery, so it seemed to be OK.

That shows that the alternator is working fine (as it charged the battery up) and the starter motor is fine (as it started off the jump leads). But the battery couldn't hold enough charge overnight to have enough 'oomph' to start the car.

That, or something is draining the battery overnight (light not switching off, etc)

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Malkavich

Hi,

thanks for the quick response.

After you have said this, the Stereo goes into Standby mode and still has power to it once the ignition key is removed.

I'll change this as it may well be what draining the battery and see what happens.

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Peter.N.

Check that the voltage across the battery is about 14.4 volts with the engine running if so charging should be OK.

I would suspect the battery but if its proved to be good test for leakage by connecting an ampmeter in series with the battery (remove + lead and connect to one meter lead, connect the other to the battery) with everything turned off it shouldn't be drawing more than about 100ma after a couple of minutes. If its drawing much more remove the fuses one at a time and see which makes the current drop.

OK Same thing happened last night, I had to call out recovery again.

The guy did lots of testing again and the charging and battery showed ok. But it was showing a 1amp drainage when engine off. I was advised by the engineer to disconnect to the negative from the battery, to preserve it. When I went out to the car this morning and reconnected it, nothing from the engine again, had to jump start to get to work.

Any Advice??

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Avant

It could be the battert, but before spending a lot of money on a new one, clean the terminals. Dirty terminals can produce the symptoms you describe.

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Big John

Also with vibration/age the earth lead from battery-> body->engine can fail.

When it is in the state of not starting try attaching a jump lead between battery negative "-" and a clean metal point on the engine , and try again.

To check for devices draining battery leave ignition off, doors/boot shut and disconnect the positive terminal from the battery and connect a multimeter between the terminal and the battery in amp (high setting) mode - this wil show the level of drain (there will be always be a little)

If carrying out Avants tips and checking earths make no difference and residual current flow is low - it's probably the battery

Stereo will get upset if battery ends up with no charge

Edited by Big John on 07/08/2015 at 23:55

OK Same thing happened last night, I had to call out recovery again. The guy did lots of testing again and the charging and battery showed ok. But it was showing a 1amp drainage when engine off. I was advised by the engineer to disconnect to the negative from the battery, to preserve it. When I went out to the car this morning and reconnected it, nothing from the engine again, had to jump start to get to work. Any Advice??

OK Same thing happened last night, I had to call out recovery again.

The guy did lots of testing again and the charging and battery showed ok. But it was showing a 1amp drainage when engine off. I was advised by the engineer to disconnect to the negative from the battery, to preserve it. When I went out to the car this morning and reconnected it, nothing from the engine again, had to jump start to get to work.

Any Advice??

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - KenC

Remove battery clean earth strap,battery terminals and remove any courtesy light bulb in glovebox and boot turn off interior courtesy lamps.

Edited by KenC on 08/08/2015 at 11:15

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - RobJP

If you are disconnecting the battery overnight, and it doesn't have enough power to start the car in the mornings when you reconnect it, then the battery has had it.

You may have other (minor) issues with electrical drains, etc. But the biggie, right now, is that you need a new battery

T Reg 1.9 Diesel Mk 4 VW Golf - After sitting overnight not starting - Big John

I agree with RobJP - If the battery has been disconnected overnight and it can't start the next morning then the battery is goosed

However once you have done this the 1amp drain is worth investigating as this is quite high, although sometimes this can settle a few minutes after battery is re-connected once everything has settled