Citroen BX Turbo Diesel. - M.M
Posting on behalf of an enthusiast without Internet access...

1989 BX DTR turbo diesel hatch in white. One owner from new & only selling as wife wants a new Toyota Yaris. Full history, always garaged, a couple a supermarket type dings but otherwise good, MOT to Jan 2004, tax June 2003, towbar fitted but only used a few times for a light boat. Boot will contain spares such as new discs/pads, brakes hoses and some other used items parts.

Located in Bridgewater Somerset but owner is coming up to the Aylesbury Toyota dealer next Tuesday 4th March to collect their new Yaris. He will be in the BX that day and could sell it there and then to someone who would meet.

Asking for offers on £250 but will be *very* realistic for a true enthusiast.

Any interest?? Contact Reg James on 01278 732606 or post a contact here and I'll get back to you.

Citroen BX Turbo Diesel. - pmh
Deal done. Sold subject to car being something similar to as described and getting as far as Aylesbury on tuesday!

pmh (was peter)
Peter,

Serious?? Do hope so because Reg is a very genuine chap.

Good luck with inspecting/buying it, throw up a post in Discussion if you do get it and let us know just what a £250ish BX is like.

Good luck,

David

David
Very serious, I have actually insured it. Great fun buying blind, you have to make character judgements based on interviewing skills. I probably would only walk away if has been totalled on its way up here.

I have broken all my own rules, Foreign, (let alone French), oil burning, old turbo, shopping car low mileage (108k). I suspect I may be making use of Technical rather than Discussion..., however it comes with Workshop manual, complete history, and a boot load of spares.

Any walk away tips??

P

pmh (was peter)
Peter,

I only know Reg as a fellow Citroen Club member from the queries he's posed me over the phone in the past. He appears 100% genuine and loves that car. It has almost a years ticket and with it being a one owner garaged vehicle in daily running order what more can you want for less than £250?

I would not have offered to post the advert for him if I didn't think he was completely genuine.

Any particular queries then just ask on the forum or get Mark to give you my mail address.

David
Citroen BX Turbo Diesel. - Mark (RLBS)
I'm going to move this to Discussion now that the deal is done.

At least it will allow all you citroeny people to have a good old chin wag about hydraulic stuff.

I'll do it in the morning. By all means chat in this thread until I do.

Mark.
MM

You said to keep you up to speed on what a £200 BX is like......

Nearly 3 weeks use so far (600 miles at nearly 50mpg), probably best driving cheap car I have ever had. The mystery of citroen hydraulics is gradually becoming clearer, but the braking concept (but not the reality) still makes me nervous!

Some minor niggles but the biggest problem happened yesterday!
The ignition /steering lock had been a little problematic with insertion of the key being difficult sometimes (and did not respond to oil/lubricant). Yesterday it decided it would not let the key in more than about 5mm. After considerable jiggling by me and a couple of expert car-breakers we gave up and resorted to brute force to destroy and remove the barrel. Currently using it ok with screw driver, but a little reluctant to offer it it to SWMBO.

(I note from the comprehensive service records supplied that a garage commented on this potential problem about 18 mnths ago). I guess I was just unlucky....

Watch this space for further techy queries. (PS I will post in technical).

Any spares cars out there in S Herts N London?

David ... No definitive conclusion on Peug airbags, the owner is still pursuing personal injury claim. Email me direct.
pmh (was peter)
Peter,

I've sent you a mail anyway but...

Glad you bought the car. Bit of a shame about the ign lock but they are prone to this with age, fine one day and failed the next.

Funnily enough this problem can sometimes be nipped in the bud by getting new keys cut as the old ones wear too much to operate the tumblers correctly.

Last time this happened to me I bought a used lock complete with key at the breakers for £10. Andyspares do a new Valeo ign lock assy for about £35.

Good luck with it.

MM

Citroen BX Turbo Diesel. - PhilW
pmh,
Good old BXs!! Looked after it should serve you well for many a mile. As well as the technical forum here try
members4.boardhost.com/citroen_bx/
it makes good reading and there are some really knowledgeable enthusiasts who will help with any problem (Including Middleman, I think!)