Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Rear mounted cycle carrier - Fat-Tony

I'd like to fit a rear mounted cycle carrier on my Toyota Auris touring sport hybrid- Toyota quote £840 , £840 for a 2 cycle rear mount.

Is there another solution ?

I'm assuming that because my car isn't designed to tow, there maybe no towbar bracket etc

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Rear mounted cycle carrier - skidpan

I'm assuming that because my car isn't designed to tow, there maybe no towbar bracket etc

If a car is not homologated for towing it is not legally possible for it to have a tow bar fitted.

But don't bodge a solution. Several years ago whilst on holiday a car a short distance ahead had shed the bikes that had been on a cycle carrier. A couple of cars had hit the bikes and were rendered undrivable, a lorry finally finished off the bikes. We gave our names to the owners of the cars affected and about 6 months later one was decent enough to drop us an e-mail with the outcome. The driver had been prosecuted and heavily fined. His insurers had footed the bill for repairs to the affected cars but had not fotted the bill for the written off bikes whose value was allegedly over £6000.

Expensive day out. Who says cycling is cheap transport.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Rear mounted cycle carrier - RobJP

The Auris Touring does have a towing kit available from Toyota though : they advertise hitch wiring kits, rear mounted bike carriers, etc. on their website (in the 'build your car' section.

However, if nobody else is making a kit for that car at present, then you're at the mercy of main dealer prices.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Rear mounted cycle carrier - skidpan

The Auris Touring does have a towing kit available from Toyota though : they advertise hitch wiring kits, rear mounted bike carriers, etc. on their website (in the 'build your car' section.

However, if nobody else is making a kit for that car at present, then you're at the mercy of main dealer prices.

A towbar kit is indeed available for the Auris Touring and the max braked tow capacity is 1300kg. But the OP's car is a hybrid and the max braked and unbraked towing capacity for that car is 0kg. That means its is not pernitted to fit the car with a tow bar.

Toyota Auris Touring Sports - Rear mounted cycle carrier - RobJP

And yet you can add those items onto a Hybrid variant when building it ?

Oh well ...