Choosing a WAV - chelseap

Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum and i'm pretty crap with my knowledge about cars so thought i'd post and see if any of yous could help me out. My grandad is looking for a wheelchair adapted vehicle. We've found a local company and we've seen some half decent reviews from them so we are keen to get one from them.

The only thing is we have no idea where to start. I'll put their website at the bottom so you can see their selection but i think we want something manual, not too expensive. It needs to fit his mobility scooter in and his wheelchair fairly easily, not necessarily at the same time. What models would you guys recommend? Are any of the ones available popular choices?

This is our local company - http://www.wheelchairadaptedvehicles.co.uk/wheelchair-cars-vehicles.php

Thanks in advance :)

Choosing a WAV - kerbed enthusiasm

My only contribution is to comment upon how incredibly expensive they appear in comparison to their non-adapted counterparts.

I suspect that you'll need to go down there, armed with all the necessary disability aids, and assess the ease of access and egress of each vehicle. Peugeot Partners have certainly been around for long enough to prove their reliability and there are plenty of people who rate them (I'd want one with aircon though with all that glass).

Choosing a WAV - gordonbennet

The first question would be does the chap need an auto box, because the best auto boxes for easy drive and general reliability (there will always be exceptions) are torque converter, and these tend to get found in Korean and some Japanese vehicles of this type these days and few European.

If an auto isn't required, you could do far worse than check out a Peugeot Partner or its sister Citroen Berlingo, Fiat Doblo, or if size up is required a VW Caddy Max, most if not all of these are available with their own auto boxes now, but none of them will be traditional torque converter autos as far as i know.

They are all commercial van based so will likely be durable vehicles, how they fare for corrosion resistance when they've been modified like this i wouldn't like to say, but it might be worth asking the converter what they do about treating affected panels etc after modification.

You also have the thr thorny question of fuel choice, if petrol is the chosen fuel then that will severly limit choice, Diesel's might require more research as to how suitable they might be for likely use...re potential DPF problems mainly.

Choosing a WAV - MuddledButter832

I once came across an online shop that offers mobility cars Scotland. If I’m not mistaken, it’s gleneaglescoversion.co.uk. They have great selection of both new and nearly used wheelchair accessible vehicles. Also, the prices are shown together with the cars' specifications. You can check them out if you want.

Choosing a WAV - Metropolis.

From the selection they have, i'd recommend a Kia Sedona for the reasons highlighted above. Other brands (vauxhall Easytronic, Volkswagon DSG, Skoda DSG, Fiat Comfortmatic, Renault Easytronic, Seat DSG.) are highly problematic. Better off with a torque converter automatic. Search the internet for any of the gearbox makes i mention and you'll find a host of repeat issues, expensive repairs only for issues to arise again. I'm not sure about the Vauxhall Zafiras they have for sale, but Kia seems a safer bet.

Choosing a WAV - Metropolis.

Just re-read you want a manual, whoops!

Choosing a WAV - Mike H

My parents had a Peugeot Partner under the Motability scheme. They chose it because of ease of access into the front seats - they are a good height, and the sills aren't too wide (the latter can be a bit of an issue with some cars if you have restricted mobility). My father bought it after my mother went into a care home. It's now six years old and has been totally reliable. It has only covered 22,000 miles in that time, with mainly town running, although my father at 84 is savvy enough to give it an occasional motorway blast.