Leyland daf road runner - info & help needed - dreadman

I can't find any other site where I can ask for help with a 1988 road runner daf . New master cylinder fitted brakes still spongey I'm told the problem is needs new bleed nipples for the front brakes, is this an easy fix ? & expensive ?I'm no mechanic & don't know what I'm doing.Also what other things do I need to look for as this is a truck I'm looking at buying. would appreciate any help. Cheers

Leyland daf road runner - info & help needed - focussed

It's 27 years old, and it's had 27 winters of road salt. The bleed nipples will be rusted solid and have probably been rounded off by someone trying to unscrew them. Been there many times. If you can't get the bleed nipples moving or they snap off it's new brake cylinders or calipers, don't know whether they had discs or not.

The same probably applies to the rest of it, everything you touch will be rusted solid.

You said you are no mechanic - do you feel lucky?

Edited by focussed on 08/07/2015 at 23:42

Leyland daf road runner - info & help needed - gordonbennet

Is this the current owner/sellers opinion (needs new bleed nipples)?

if so it sounds a bit like ''aircon needs regassing'' often seen in ads which roughly translates to it's leaking refrigerant like a slashed tyre and will need regassing after you've spent £750+ on parts/repairs.

My inclination would be to pay a lorry mechanic to give the vehicle a thorough inspection before you buy, you can drill bleed nipples out and rethread them, but its time consuming and a job for accuracy and probably not cost effective unless you DiY.

Leyland daf road runner - info & help needed - focussed

Put your brain into gear and run a mile forget you ever saw the vehicle its at best scrap.

Yup-That's it in a nutshell !

Leyland daf road runner - info & help needed - edlithgow

Put your brain into gear and run a mile forget you ever saw the vehicle its at best scrap.

Yup-That's it in a nutshell !

Bit dogmatic about something they've never seen, but, sadly, that's probably the way to bet.

However, "the vehicle is at best scrap" usually means, in practice, that it isn't economically repairable, which in turn means that a repair at commercial rates exceeds the book value of the vehicle.

Pretty much anything wrong with an old commercial vehicle puts it in that category.

The only possible way around this, in the UK, is DIY. If you aren't a mechanic, and you aren't prepared to become one, then you have to be prepared to become quite rich, to either buy new vehicles and/or pay for maintenance by pros.

Commercials have some advantages for DIY, since they tend to be simpler than contemporary cars, but they are also bigger and heavier, so you might need some heavier equipment (eg jacks), bigger spanners, and more space to work.

Based on ownership of a Renault Dodge ex-BT workshop truck, you might have trouble finding somewhere to MOT test the bigger ones, since they wont fit on the hoist of most garages, and spares and information might be hard to find (though I think there's a Haynes manual for the Roadrunner).

They will also be especially scary to drive if there might be anything wrong with the brakes. Think 4 tonnes and a bus-queue.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/07/2015 at 08:53

Leyland daf road runner - info & help needed - edlithgow

"Based on ownership of a Renault Dodge ex-BT workshop truck, you might have trouble finding somewhere to MOT test the bigger ones, since they wont fit on the hoist of most garages, and spares and information might be hard to find (though I think there's a Haynes manual for the Roadrunner)"

Sorry. Of course there's no Haynes for the Roadrunner, I was thinking of the Sherpa.

No excuse since I looked at a couple of Roadrunners before I bought the Dodge.

Even though the latter was in near immaculate condition, I'd say I still bit off more than I could chew, and although I put it through a couple of MOT's (London Borough of Enfield do them) if it hadn't been knicked, I doubt it'd have been viable in the longer term.

Commercial workshop manuals were prohibitively expensive. Information availability got a bit better with that machine later on because it was popular with new age traveller types, and due to developments on the internet.

Dunno if the same applies to the Roadrunner, but from a quick look I did find some dodgy CD's on ebay.

"http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAF-TRUCK-WORKSHOP-MANUALS-WIRING-SCHEMATICS-cd-dvd-/331586714905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d341bbd19"