Ford connect - Car park - Tomthetiler
I mistakenly drove into a private car park and slightly damaged the barrier and my roof rack,now the company (asda) want to claim on my insurance,can they?..theoretically I shouldn't have been able to gain access to it as it had a barrier an key fob system but the barrier was up
Ford connect - Car park - skidpan

Since you caused the damage you should pay.

Why try to place the blame on them for leaving the barrier open.

If you want to avoid an insurance claim offer to pay them directly for the repairs.

I did try to offer to have the repair done by a third party but they said I have to go through my insurance
Ford connect - Car park - Palcouk

No you dont have to go through your insurance, you may need to inform your insurance company, but you are not obliged to let them handle any claim.

Cheers..is there any way I can dodge this or am I totally liable..surly they must have some kind of insurance in place for numptys like me?
Ford connect - Car park - alan1302
Cheers..is there any way I can dodge this or am I totally liable..surly they must have some kind of insurance in place for numptys like me?

You broke it you pay for it. Why should someone else pay for you?

Ford connect - Car park - RobJP

You caused the damage. Much as if you had crashed into another vehicle while driving, YOU are responsible. Your actions / negligence has caused this.

You have 2 choices : either you pay for the repairs directly, or inform your insurance company, and they pay.

Either way, you MUST inform your insurance company of it. Failure to do so would be a breach of your insurance terms and conditions, and your insurance company (if they found out) could cancel your policy on the spot. The reason for this is that you may be a higher risk than you have made out, and they've no idea if you've tried/done this in the past.

Do be advised that having insurance cancelled is not a laughing matter. You would find it VERY hard to get other insurance, and would probably have to pay large amounts (again, you are viewed as high risk/potential fraudster)

Cheers..I don't suppose you know if I could go through my public liability insurance or does it need to go through my motor insurance?
Disregard the last post...havin a special moment!
Ford connect - Car park - Bromptonaut

If the roles were reversed and their barrier had damaged your car would you justify them trying to 'dodge' the claim?

Ford connect - Car park - concrete

Got to agree with others Tomthetiler, you made the mistake, albeit innocently, but it is you who needs to rectify the mistake. That means doing the right thing and paying up, apologising and coming out of this looking like a decent citizen. A poorer but wiser man.

Cheers Concrete

I've sent 2 emails and left a voicemail but haven't heard anything back?...puzzled as to what to do next
Ford connect - Car park - FP

"I did try to offer to have the repair done by a third party but they said I have to go through my insurance"

Who is "they"? Asda?

"I've sent 2 emails and left a voicemail but haven't heard anything back"

I'm puzzled as to exactly what communication has taken place here.