Volkswagen Passat - Import to UK - Xenon Headlights requirements - VW Man

Hi all,

I am importing my 2007 VW Passat 3.2L 4M into the UK.

I currently have Xenon Headlights, does anyone know if there is a requirement to adjust the beam on those headlights so they are UK compliant. Because the car is less than 10 years old, putting light deflectors is not sufficient for DVLA. I'd rather not have to pay up and change the headlights which would cost a fortune! Is there a way to deflect the beam electronically or with a switch/lever on this model? Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Volkswagen Passat - Import to UK - Xenon Headlights requirements - elekie&a/c doctor

Xenon headlights usually have a flat beam,so you may not need to do any adjustment.Also make sure the rear fog is on the right side,if only one fitted,and the speedo is able to read in mph.

@elekie&a/c doctor

Thanks very much for the advice. Is there an easy way to test whether my lights have a flat beam, or do I need to take them into a dealer?

Volkswagen Passat - Import to UK - Xenon Headlights requirements - elekie&a/c doctor

Take it to a local mot station and ask them to check the lights on their beam setter.If you are going to register the car in the uk ,it will need an mot anyway.

Volkswagen Passat - Import to UK - Xenon Headlights requirements - Hamsafar

You need the dealer or someone with VCDS software to set them to tourist mode - change a 0 to 1 in one of the channels.

Edited by Hamsafar on 06/07/2015 at 12:03

Thanks to all for responses.

Took the car to the local MOT centre and unfortunately the current Xenon headlights I have would fail, the beam is not flat.

Took the car to my local VW dealer to enquire about VCDS or mechanical switch but unfortunately they used to be able to do it on the previous year's model, not mine. Anyway it looks that getting the headlights changed to RHD ones is the only option.

Volkswagen Passat - Import to UK - Xenon Headlights requirements - Smileyman

Who ever it was that said Xenon headlamps are flat is wrong ... Xenon headlamps come in various types, it refers to the bulb and electronics not the dipped light settings (I have Xenons, exactly the same light set up as haloglen, just different bulb and electronics).

VWMan, I suggest you check with breakers yards and scour Ebay / Gumtree and other online auction houses in your search for replacement headlights, it will be much cheaper than buying new lights from the dealer. If you have only single rear reversing and fog lights you may need to replace the rear lights, slightly more complicated job here, so that the left is the reversing light and right is fog lamp (pity EU does not enforce twin reversing and fog lights, it would be better all round, but that is off topic)

Volkswagen Passat - Import to UK - Xenon Headlights requirements - focussed

I suggest that you look for the UK or european distributor for Depo lamp units, they are replacement lamp units made in Taiwan and are are good quality.

They are E marked and are much cheaper than oem parts prices.

I bought Depo LHD lamp units for my pick-up from a local guy here in France, and they are if anything better quality than the originals.