BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - carnut1980

Hi all. I have just bought a fab BMW, but i have the problem mentioned above. These should charge in the ignition whilst driving, and are supposed to be 'sealed for life'

None of the buttons work, on either fob. I can unlock the doors manually with key, and the fobs work in dash, for driving, but the buttons don't!

When i unlock manually, the alarm goes off as soon as i open the door though. It seems to 'arm' when i lock with key, but not disarm when i unlock!

Should i disconnect alarm for now?

The s****** wants £168 for a new key, they don't refurb these ones. And of course, i need to show them all sorts of ownership docs, and utility bills etc, plus make two visits there, as the key fob takes a few days to program etc!

There must be a simpler, cheaper way to get another fob that works?

Any help greatly appreciated!

PS ,it seems we aren't allowed to call the main dealer by their more commonly known name now!

BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - madf

£160 seems around the going rate.

You buy a car which costs over £35k new and are complaining about £160 for a key?

BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - slkfanboy

If you have just purchased the car, return the keys under sales of good act, or warranty

i bought the car on the basis that the key fobs weren't working. £3250 for a 330d se touring, 55 plate! FSH.

Is it worth breaking open one of the fobs and changing the battery anyway? I understand they use a small panasonic cell

BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - bankside

Are you sure it is the key fobs?

It coul dbe that a fuse has failed and the remote locking is switched off.

Suggest you check the handbook and find the fuse box, then change / swap the fuse .

It's not easy but worth a look....

Is there a fuse for remote locking? Sounds like wishful thinking

BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - elekie&a/c doctor

There are 2 fuses for the cd locking,but if the system works ok from the metal key blade and the switch on the dash,then the fuses are ok.

BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - skidpan

i bought the car on the basis that the key fobs weren't working

You should have checked the costs involved before you bought. Then you would not be moaning about the prices having knocked the seller down by the correct figure.

You live and learn but for now you will have to pay up if you want a working car.

The fob buttons don't work. I got the car cheap, and i beat him down firther, pricewise!

I have sent one fob off for new battery (even though they aren't supposed to be replaceable)

It saves on the £168 rip off from the st ealer.

What if the st ealer sends the key off, charges me accordingly, and it doesn't work when i get it back? Then surely the problem is with the cars receiver. Where is it?

Researching it, there seems to be something near the 'spoiler' that can often fail due to water ingress. What is that body coloured fin near the rear on the roof? Is the receiver under there? cheers

I think you will find that the water ingress problem only affects the estate/touring models.

Mine is the touring, its a E91. I apologise for callign it the E90

As this is a touring,the problem could be water in the receiver unit ,under the gate spoiler ,or broken wiring from the tailgate to the body.(very common)

BMW 330D E90 - BMW E90 330D NON C.A KEY FOBS DEAD. HELP! - old-school-tech

It is possible to replace the battery, however they are soldered onto the pcb so you'll need to be a little handy with the soldering iron.

you will also need to "break" open the case, but they do come apart quite easily.

The batteries are available on a well known auction site for about £6 each and they come with little tabs attached ready for soldering, You can also get replacement key housings just in case your not so delicate in taking yours apart.

Ok, i took the rear spoiler apart today. The ribbon which plugs into bottom left of unit, has split, on the narrow side, which trails left (RHD) into the bootlid. Please see photos below

When i disconnect the unit, the radio reception is worse (understandably) as i am disconnecting the amplifier. I therefore assume there is power going to the diversity unit, although i couldn't find a live/ground wire to check with the multimeter.

What is the purpose of the ribbon shown? It has two tracks, a wide and a narrow one, like i said above, the narrow one has sheared off, which trails left, the wider one trails right, and it looks ok.

Also the rear wiper doesn't work. The washer pump is fine, though the nozzle is blocked and needs replacing.

One last thing. The washer pump doesn't work at all (no noise) if the bootlid isn't closed properly, nor does the independent rear window open, again , if th ebootlid isn't closed properly. Could any of these be linked?

<a href="http://s431.photobucket.com/user/carnut1980/media/IMAG0472_zpse1r1uw7a.jpg.html" target="_blank"><i*******"http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq35/carnut1980/IMAG0472_zpse1r1uw7a.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMAG0472_zpse1r1uw7a.jpg"/></a>

<a href="http://s431.photobucket.com/user/carnut1980/media/IMAG0469_zpsyvvzi3ze.jpg.html" target="_blank"><i*******"http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq35/carnut1980/IMAG0469_zpsyvvzi3ze.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMAG0469_zpsyvvzi3ze.jpg"/></a>

<a href="http://s431.photobucket.com/user/carnut1980/media/IMAG0468_zpswgw8abnb.jpg.html" target="_blank"><i*******"http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq35/carnut1980/IMAG0468_zpswgw8abnb.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo IMAG0468_zpswgw8abnb.jpg"/></a>

The PN for the ribbon is 65206933325

It is partially severed. What is its purpose?

emote locking now sorted. It wasn't the amp, it was a broken wire in the black rubber loom by the bootlid hinge! soldered back together, now all is fine!